• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FRONT AXLE DOES NOT ENGAGE

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6x6 works in all gears. The reason you must go through first and reverse is to change which overriding clutch (sprag) is engaged. Once you go through first (assuming everything is adjusted correctly) you will have AWD in all FWD gears. If you decide to swap to an airshift, there's a guy in Ft Lauderdale that probably has everything you need and he's reasonable.

DEL03

Kenneth

Have you seen both work which is the best we have alotttttttttttt of sand around us and few trees to winch from how do I find this guy in Lauderdale

del03

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had many of both and frankly, both work well. The sprag, when working can actually save you from getting stuck. It senses slip via the differet front output gear ratio and the overrunning clutch. With the airshift you might wait too long before engaging, the sprag is automatic. Call Matt at M-Trucking (954)523-1913. He has lots of sprags and should have some air shifts.

tjcouch

So I got my truck off-road for the first time today and drove through some mud.

The front wheel drive engaged . . . . . and stayed locked in up until 1800 RPM . . . . then it would make a small "clunk" and disengage. Stopping and restarting would make it reengage immediately.

Is this by design or is something amiss?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
There are basically only two problems with the sprag-type transfer case - both involving laziness. Failures can be caused by the operator failing to follow the instructions in the manual, which emphasis the shift lever MUST be moved through first or reverse when changing directions (that is, you can pull away in second after backing up, but you must move the shift lever through first beforehand) - and you should never allow the truck to roll in the direction opposite that selected in the transmission. (don't sit at an uphill traffic stop with the tranny in first and let the truck roll back with the clutch depressed.

The other laziness is not checking the linkage adjustment once a year or so - I do mine when I do the clutch and brake maintenance.

Being basically lazy - I wouldn't swap the transfer case to air-shift, or install the reb kit, if the parts were free (in fact, I have spares, and won't go to the effort). I've got trucks of both types, and have never had to any transfer repair - and my trucks have been driven a LOT.

HTH,
David Doyle

JasonS

The shift lever does not have to be moved through first to engage the front. If it did, it any benefit would be undone when passing back through neutral.

ida34

Going to neutral does not reverse the sprag engagement. Putting it back in reverse would. Putting it in 1st then to neutral does not disengage the foward sprag. Think of 1st and reverse as being push switches. Putting it in 1st engages front direction sprag. Putting it in reverse engages the rear direction sprag. The sprags are only disengaged when the new direction is engaged. Putting the trans in any other forward gear other than 1st will not disengage the rear sprag and switch to the front. As least this is how I have understood it but I don't have to fool with it since I have an airshift.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, you are 100% correct. The sprag is controlled by a link connected to the back of the 1st reverse shoft rail. Failing engage the correct sprag causes bad things to happen. Like DD, I've had a few sprag trucks and they have always worked well.

jasonjc

OK I have a ? My M36 has the sprag. At this time I do not have the likage install and the front shaft is also out. Do I need to worry about driving it this way? Am I going to/aready messed up the sprag?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as the front drive shaft is out or the drive flanges removed, you will be just fine.

JasonS

Just to be clear. The only thing that the transmission linkage does is to provide pressure to move a collar inside the transfer case from the forward sprag to the reverse sprag. As soon as the shift lever is moved from reverse to neutral, this pressure is removed and a spring internal to the transfer case moves the collar to the forward sprag.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
... Call Matt at M-Trucking (954)523-1913. He has lots of sprags and should have some air shifts.
Matt isn't there any longer and they don't sell military parts at all. :?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Gerhard, that was his old number. Try is cell number at (954)812-5989. Let him know Kenny sent you!