• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle inner seals.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone changed these? Is there any way of swapping them,with out removing the third member?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it can be done but its a pain. I've heard of lots of folks just banging them into the tube them pulling them out. I've got a seal hook for my slide hammer and it gets them out ok, usually!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new ones have a metal outside case. How did you install them? Did you remove the seal from the case?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked from both sides of the truck. Use a long (about 6 ft) 1 inch,max, dia rod and just knock the seal out from the opposite side. The 1 inch rod will pass through the diff.
The seals have a metal edge (perimeter), which permits them to be seated in the housing. Use a short piece of PVC pipe cut square and tap it in place. I think 3" dia pipe was just right.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a little confused. Mine looks like they were installed from the inside out, because the metal in the knuckle is smaller than the OD of the seal. Is there a holder for this seal, and i just havent seen the seam? Thanks.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok i found it in TM 9-2320-209-34-2-1. But i think i'll fire up my lathe and make some new seal retainers that will hold the seals on the outside so i won't have to fight this again. thanks for your replies.