• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle lock engagement

Awesome Possum

Does an air actuated front axle HAVE to have air pressure in order to stay locked? I need to lift the whole rear end of the truck, but will have to do the work (rear-end change out) in my driveway, which is at a slight decline towards the front of the truck. It'll be well chocked but I'd like to have the axle locked in order to use the front axle with the parking brake. Will the front axle disengage without the air?

From what my ears tell me, when the front axle is engaged, the air pressure is actuating against a spring. When the pressure is released, the spring returns the actuator to disengaged and the pressure releases through a vent at the selector. If you don't have the air pressure, you don't have the front axle.
:beer:

Awesome Possum

Thanks, Guys. The wheels will be well chocked. Got the jack stands covered. Don't know about quality, but they're from Harbor freight, 12 ton size, and look pretty good.

RAYZER

It is the transfer case that is locked in when the air switch is on.
It has been advised not to leave the trans and transfer case in gear when parked,if the truck should happen to roll,the motor can start even if the switch is off. If you had to leave it in gear when parked,the fuel shut off cable could be pulled out in the locked position.

mylo219

Cold here 12dgr...let me m35 warm for quite awhile. Never had an low air alarm buzzer going off?..showed no air pressure but I drove around the field but no fwd....now what do I do ( I showed oil pressure but no air oil temp to speak off...Omy, and now I'm leaking oil on left hand side right above frt drive shaft !! to freekn cold...any advice is welcome

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Cold here 12dgr...let me m35 warm for quite awhile. Never had an low air alarm buzzer going off?..showed no air pressure but I drove around the field but no fwd....now what do I do ( I showed oil pressure but no air oil temp to speak off...Omy, and now I'm leaking oil on left hand side right above frt drive shaft !! to freekn cold...any advice is welcome
Convey your question better.

I guess you feel you didn't have air pressure so your front axle wasn't working. Are you sure you have an air shift transfer case? If so, sounds like your air system might be froze up. No air pressure at all?

welldigger

How well did your brakes work?

ATPTac

On my truck when its below roughly 40 degrees or so, the air buzzer doesn't work. The no pressure could be a frozen air system like gimpy said. The rest of your problems will require more specifics.