• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle oil change

MAZ537

Hello guys,

I want to change the oil in my front axle at my M1008 and I have some questions for the experts !

what oil should I use ?
do I need to use a gasket again ? And if so any idea from its thickness and material ?
do I need to apply some sealant to the diff cover ?

Thank you VERY much !

Skinny

Is the cover leaking? If not dont bother pulling it, just use a pump to pull the old out. Unless you think it is full of metal or you plan on retorquing the caps. Otherwise you are just making a mess that smells like dirty bums.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

MAZ537

Felpro gaskets are unobtainable down here so I have to ask a shop to cut one.Anyone might know what is the correct thickness of it?
Also I am trying to find the diff cover bolts correct tightening sequence ?

Thank you!

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Felpro gaskets are unobtainable down here so I have to ask a shop to cut one.Anyone might know what is the correct thickness of it?

Thank you!
........ where in EUROPE are you at home (if you don't name the region where you live you could at least have as much respect and name the country ....... sorry, my opinion) , there are enough dealers in Europe who sell the right gaskets

MAZ537

Hello guys,

What is the best way to clean this surface rust ? There is also some in the axle as well...
Also a diff cover that was removed with the old gasket fully intact can be re-used or it will leak ?DSC03863.JPG

Thank you!!!

MarcusOReallyus

I don't think it's critical. Just follow the usual practice of alternating across and tightening sequentially, and you should be good. These aren't two machined parts going together - the cover is stamped steel, and they aren't being heated to any significant degree, so a specific tightening sequence really isn't needed.

Had more time this morning so I looked it up. I found it in the -34 (TM9-2320-289-34, page 609 ). All it says is:

Install new differential cover gasket
and differential cover (2) with 10 bolts
(1). Tighten bolts to 35 Ib.-ft.
(47 N.m)

I think that confirms that the sequence is not critical. If it were, I think this is where it would be stated.

If you don't have the TMs yet, you should grab them. Go the Home page of the forum (not the CUCV section) and scroll down a bit form the top and you'll see listings for all the TMs.

And they are FREE! :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks