• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle problem

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For that price, I would have them for spares and you can take the spindle off and use it.
if you have these for sale they should be listed in clasifieds isn't there a rule about selling in the fourms i thought that was supose to be done with PM's

Chieftawny

their not mine, i was just tryin to help him out quick, and save money instead of spending money on rebuilding his, when these were so cheap and rebuilt already.

Actually, I need to thank you for this thread. I currently have 6 deuces, 3 M1008s, 1 M1031, and 2 M1009s, along with 8 M105 trailers. Trying to stay focused on just one project has been a problem of mine, especially with my un-diagnosed ADD... Anyway, I have been working on one of my M1008s doing a custom lift which included 52" front springs and 63" rears, but I decided to change over to one of the M1009s which I was going to convert to true 3/4-ton axles some time later so it would match the other M1009 which has a 10" lift. Anyway, seeing a melted bearing made me go on ebay and look for spindles, which I found on ebay along with the hubs to convert to 3/4-ton for a total price of $80 shipped to my door at my home in Alabama. Just a thought you might want to consider.

Last edited:

CROM

Reassembly and ops check c/w. Total parts replaced: Both front inner and outer wheel bearings, both seals. I have a line a new spindle and have ordred a new tire :mad:. The bearings/seals/spindle stayed under $100, but the tire is going to be $250. Four day old tire....such a shame.

Thank you all for your input! I wouldn't have gotten through this ordeal without your help. I'm sure this won't be the last time I post for help, and it's good to know there are some experts out there!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys, is it possible to pull everything enough to repack the bearings without tearing up the seals? It's my daily driver, so I have to have everything I need before I tear into it.
Thanks,
Bruce

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys, is it possible to pull everything enough to repack the bearings without tearing up the seals? It's my daily driver, so I have to have everything I need before I tear into it.
Thanks,
Bruce
you can pack the outer without seals but that doesn't do much good to repack the inner you need new seals witch are fairly cheap. It should be done at least once a year and with bigger tires i would recomend ckecking bearnings for proper adjustment several times a year as big tires tend to loosen them up2cents

Thanks,
Bruce
There is also a set of needle bearings inside the spindle that can sometimes get wet or dry out, and they are only in use when the hubs are locked in. There is also a rubber seal on the back of the spindle that keeps water and dirt out from inside that area where the needle bearings are located. I have the number somewhere in my shop if you need it for that seal, but most of the time it can be reused. Since she is your daily driver, I'd recommend taking the spindle off and making sure those little bearings are good to go while you have it down this far. If they do go bad, they won't leave you stranded, but they can eat up the outer short stub of your axle shaft.