• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle seal???? help

hfccar6

Ok well i have been doing work on my fire companys 52 m37. I had changed the fluid in the front diff and after that i had gear oil come out of the drivers side hub. I have taken abart the entire front hub apart expecting to find a seal some where but i didnt. Can anyone help me out and tell me if and where it is located. I have the original service manual and it just says if gear oil found in the front hub contact battalion maintnance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh and on a side note, i just installed the snake river 4x4 power steering conversion. I absolutley love it very easy to install ,simple easy to follow instructions. Well worth the price, best money my fire co. has spent on the truck.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have attached a copy of the axle housing breakdown. It shows the seals in the end of the housing, "J" in the illustration.
This book is from Memphis Equipment Company,

Regards Marti

Attachments

Mike_L

The bearing/bushing in front of it ("H" in the illustration) is a bear to get out. Most of your standard pullers won't reach back far enough to get a good bite on it. Be careful pulling the bearings, they are reusable if they don't get dinged up.

Most, including myself, have rigged up a slide hammer with some bar stock behind it with some success.

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances are that if the seal is leaking the bronze bushing is worn oversize or the axle bearing surface is worn below service limits allowing the axle excess movement within the housing and defeating the seals purpose. Measure the axle and bushing in addition to replacing the seal. As stated above, a slide hammer is a good way to remove the bearing and also the seal.

Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks