• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Axle Shaft Twisted - Keep going or replace?

C.T.

Hello all, new member here.

Bought my first Deuce a while back, and I finally got around to work on it. One of the problems I have with it is that the front axle driveshaft freewheels. Upon disassembly, I found that one of the half shafts was completely sheared off and the other one is twisted somewhat. My question to you is this- can it keep going or should it be replaced too? The first 2 pictures are of the twisted one, and the last one is of what's left of the sheared off one. I asked someone elsewhere, and they mentioned that there is a possibility of micro fractures in the material which would weaken it,and that makes sense. I would like an opinion from you. Thank you!

The twisted one
DSC_0165.JPG
DSC_0166.JPG
The sheared off one
DSC_0169.JPG

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hello all, new member here.

Bought my first Deuce a while back, and I finally got around to work on it. One of the problems I have with it is that the front axle driveshaft freewheels. Upon disassembly, I found that one of the half shafts was completely sheared off and the other one is twisted somewhat. My question to you is this- can it keep going or should it be replaced too? The first 2 pictures are of the twisted one, and the last one is of what's left of the sheared off one. I asked someone elsewhere, and they mentioned that there is a possibility of micro fractures in the material which would weaken it,and that makes sense. I would like an opinion from you. Thank you!

The twisted one
View attachment 847899
View attachment 847900
The sheared off one
View attachment 847901
How in the world did GI do that!?

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would definitely replace it. Also, I notice from your profile that you're in GA. Welcome to the forum, from AL! Good luck with your repair.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
First Welcome to the site, also theres a rally "get togrther" coming up in Georgia next month. I have posted up a link to it and to the buy/sell thead, if you can make it over post up anything you need on there someone is bound to have it. Country has also posted up the needed parts and those guys are 1st class to deal with.

C.T.

Thanks for the replies everyone. On the axle shafts, mine has the U-joint style so I'll need to look a bit more and see if I can find them. On what caused it to break, I definitely think that a full throttle clutch dump had something to do with it.

On the rally, I don't think that I'll be able to make it since it since it is only in a few weeks and I still have a considerable amount of work to do to the truck before it's ready to drive. Even if I got it ready, I wouldn't feel very comfortable driving it all the way to the opposite corner of the state quite yet, since I think this one has been dormant for some time and there is a possibility of other problems showing up when I get it back going, but I'll definitely take a look into a future meet up.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the replies everyone. On the axle shafts, mine has the U-joint style so I'll need to look a bit more and see if I can find them. On what caused it to break, I definitely think that a full throttle clutch dump had something to do with it.

On the rally, I don't think that I'll be able to make it since it since it is only in a few weeks and I still have a considerable amount of work to do to the truck before it's ready to drive. Even if I got it ready, I wouldn't feel very comfortable driving it all the way to the opposite corner of the state quite yet, since I think this one has been dormant for some time and there is a possibility of other problems showing up when I get it back going, but I'll definitely take a look into a future meet up.
Don't hesitate to get in your regular passenger vehicle - and come on down! You will meet people and there might be parts that you need too. No shipping that way. If you ordered the shafts from @country they might be able to bring them to the rally for you. Even if you can't spend but a few hours, just walking around and looking, pointing and gawking might expand your horizons.

I agree. You don't need to try and drive your new-to-you-truck to the rally. Heck, it might take a couple of weeks to get a tag and insurance - and you shouldn't spend that money until you are ready to go driving!

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
As Bob Barker would say "COME ON DOWN" yeah it's great to be able to bring a MV but not in any way required. I would guess there will be a dozen or so deuces to check out and everyone is happy to answer questions. Also there's the swap meet full of stuff you didn't even know you needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks