• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axles not working in 4 wheel drive

rustystud

Mr. Greg,
I know you are a wealth of knowledge so I want to pick your brain just a little. My wife's 2WD Tahoe has a 3.08 rear axle ratio. It's a 2009 model and other than the disc brakes, looks about like any other 10 bolt. I've never heard of a 3.07 ratio available on a 10 bolt rear axle and 3.08 is a very common ratio across GM's product line for many years. As for the truck CUCV's, they typically have a Corporate 14 bolt in the rear and a Dana 60 front. Both are geared at 4.56 to 1.

Respectfully,
Joseph
Did you go to "Randy's Ring and Pinion" ? They have it there if you type in your vehicle. The only vehicles that have the same ratio's are the "constant all wheel drive" vehicles. Like Subaru's and such. Every manufacturer has a model like that now. They allow for the compensation needed in the transfer-case design.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
rustystud is correct in my experience. 4.10 in rear 4.09 in front. Civi of course. Now being new to military vehicles they may have same in both front and rear, but 3.08 in rear and 3.07 in front on the M1009 makes me think that possibly 4.56 rear and 4.55 is in front on the M1008. I will look and see if tags are still on pumpkins and compare.

I believe that GM wanted more control on front drive axle for more steering control. Although .01 does not seem like a lot it does give the advantage to the front. Not knowing about the M1009, the 1008 front axle and K30 front axles are also wider than the rear axle by about 2 inches.

Anytime you are locked up, always keep one side in the snow or driveline lock will put a bind on moving parts, causing accelerated wear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks