• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Bearing Torque Specs??

chesapeake

I have searched here an on the internet for the torque specs when replacing the front bearings on my M1028A1. Everything I seem to read is a couple of years old and some of it says the TM -20 is incorrect. Can someone help me please? What is the correct way to torque them and how much?

I am planning on working on them when I get off work today

Thank you

richingalveston

I have never torqued wheel bearings. get everyting re-installed. tighten the nut as tight as you can and you should notice the wheel does not turn when tight, you tighten them as much as you can to make sure the bearings are seated on the race. You then have to loosen the nut until the wheel turns free but does not allow the bearings to move in or out.
I find it best to tighten them with the wheel off, once tight, install the wheel and then loosen the hub nut until the wheel turns free.

place a pry bar under the wheel while it is jacked up and try to pry the bottom of the wheel in and out. you should not have any movement but the wheel should turn by hand with ease.

Barrman

Rich said it all. We all have different ways of doing things though.

I prefer using my arms to pull/push on the tire sideways while trying to find the fine line between no slop and slop. But, the pry bar does the same thing. Vehicles with the lock nut such as the 1028 I normally set the adjusting nut to where there is just a hair of slop felt. Then, when the lock nut is on and tightened, the slop is gone. Tighten the locking nut tight. If you want a torque spec, call it 80-100 foot pounds.

If you have death wobble and everything else is ok. Do the bearings again only this time stop the adjusting nut just a hair on the no slop side and then tighten down the lock nut. Just make sure the wheel assembly turns free or the bearing will heat up real fast once driving.

chesapeake

Thank ya'll for your help. Apparently my father and his friend have gotten bored. They took my truck and are doing the bearings and hubs for me. That is great news for me, I can now go home and work on weathering stripping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks