• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front brake hoses collapsed??

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What makes you think they're collapsed? Any exterior damage?
Remove the end from the caliper and see if you have flow from the master cylinder.
But if you go through that trouble you might just as well replace them.

blzrgb

Jack it up and take the tire off. Pry back the brake pads off the rotor to get clearance and then spin the hub. You may have wheel bearing problems.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with blzrgb, I have had several 4x's and none of them had problems with brake hoses unless I caught something or the calipers were hung by the hoses when doing a brake job. I use a truck as a truck, aka: Abused. Sounds like bearings.

Might be the time for a R/R of the front end....

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
did the calipers come off come off the rotor easy? Yes, keep going. No, new brakes (change the hoses while your at it, 20+ years old...).

when you spin the rotor get real close to the animal and listen, a little noise is ok but any grinding or weird noises are bad. also, slowly spin the rotor and 'feel' for the bearings, if all is smooth your ok. if you feel anything but smooth, go further

blzrgb

I've never had a brake caliper "stick". Most of the time runout on the rotor will open the caliper back up. If you let go of the steering wheel and the caliper is frozen up it will pull hard to that side. The brake hose is old as dirt anyway, so pinch it shut with vicegrips and drive it a ways up the road, if it's the bearings it'll still get hot

84cucv1ton

didnt even get thats far. parked in the corner of the yard. my lady has her sti back so i have been using my 91 k5. suck not getting to so much right now :cry:

TOG 5

I have had collapsed hoses for no other reason then age, but, that doesn't cause a front hub to get hot to the touch. Usually thats bearings, grease, or over tight hub nuts.

CUCV85

:idea:84cucv1ton Have someone who knows what there doing take the hubs apart
and just replace the bearing with new ones.
I had my brother repack my old ones and dang was it a pain.
He said next time you buy new ones and I'll put those in. Caliper's sticking are no.1 cause,
you have diagnosed it to not be the brakes and you have not done any work to the hubs
so over tight hubs (recent improper torquing) is out of the question. Let us know:razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks