• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Crankshaft Seal

motormayhem

What is the front crank seal that is easy to replace while I have the harmonic balancer off called? I am going to be replacing the balancer soon and want to do any preventative maintenance I can while I have it apart. A quick look on autozone's site left me wondering what exactly to search for. Is it called a front main seal or crank-cover seal? Looks like the tm calls it a crankcase cover seal. Also is it a press in seal something similar to a rear main seal? I am away at college right now and am itching to drive my truck when I get home so im trying to have part numbers and descriptions to give to my dad so he can stop by the parts store and buy parts so they can be installed the moment im back.

camogriz

It should be a front crankshaft seal or possibly a crankshaft timing cover seal. The parts counter person should be able to show you a picture of the seal so you can make sure you are both talking about the same one. If possible, remove the old one and bring it with you. That seal should be fairly easy to replace by prying it out and then just tapping it back in using a big socket and a hammer, like a wheel bearing seal on a brake rotor. Take care not to nick the crankshaft snout, or it might leak.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks