• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Drive Axles

Loose Deuce

Found these axles for sale in my area but the man cant remember if they are 2½ ton or 5 ton axles. :confused: They are supposed to be new but he had them for a long time. Can anyone look at them and tell if they are are worth getting? I dont know what my Deuce axles look like :blush:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess it depends on how much he want's for them. Being CV's hopefully not much!

Loose Deuce

Will the two on the right fit my 69 Deuce ? I was thinking I would get them if they were cheap enough and if they would fit. That one on the left (rusty) is made different what is it?

Desert Rat

LD,
The only way to really tell is to pull the ones in your axle out and compare/contrast them. I could be wrong about the GMC part on the two on the right. But the left one looks like a GM shaft. I wouldn't be surprised if I inverted my information though.

Trango

Ok the weird "claw" style is the "Tracta joint" style. Not strong, and not desirable. I don't know if the GMC used these or not, but early M35's definitely did. Waster.

However, the ones on the right look like Convel style CV's. There are only a couple of the "Rzeppa" style joints for the M35 front end. Convels are supposedly as strong as u joints... or something along those lines. I'll take em if you don't.... seriously!

Easiest way to tell if they are 2.5 or 5 tonners is by measuring - 1.62" OD and 16 splines is 2.5 ton.

Bob

Trango

Yeah D Rat, those tracta joints are "strong", but probably not that much stronger than, say, a stock M1008 (dana 60) axle shaft...

From
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237896
"The 2 1/2 ton U joint style, max. static load is 3,600 foot lbs. of torque. The convel model "E" used in the 2 1/2 ton is 4,310 foot lbs. of torque. The rezepa is estimated 10% to 15% weaker than the U joint style. Just for grins the dana 60 - 1480 in the steering axle is 2,000 foot lbs. of torque. I like BIG stuff. steve differential eng. inc."

Dude then I'll totally take them if you still have em. ;)

Pics of the convel:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210687&page=2&pp=25

Cheers
Bob