• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Drive Shaft Removal

Somemedic

Want to replace the universal joint on the front drive shaft of the blazer. removed the clips but cant seem to get the U joint to come out (guessinig they have to be pressed. So I was takinig the shaft out and removed the 4 bolts thaat hold the shaft to the link of the transfer case. After I got the bolts out the shaft wont drop on the tc side. Im lost as to what else is holding it up after looking at the pdf of the tm-20. Any ideas?

Somemedic

yeppers, thats was it...

Now about that u joint. I backed it out after removing the clips with a sledge. Still cantget one cap to clear out so I can pull it off. But more importantly how is I gettin that new one on??

Somemedic

Got old joint out by beating it with a sledge.

Took yolk and hit it with white lith grease. Tapped the newjoint caps into place gently and put joint into position. Pressed caps into yolk with vice until bearings were in position and then tapped them into place with a sledge. Clips were a pain but eventually went into place. Viola!

Folks, this front joint is super easy compared to the rear, which was an original. The fun with a rea u-joint, when they are original, is that they are held in (rather well, I might add) with some sort of magic teflon bushing/ fastener thingy. I dont know what it looked like but it almost f'ed up my partners 6 ton press trying to push it out of the rear drive shaft yolk. In the event you've become stumped, had a hard time trying to find it in the tactical manual the secret is a propane torch. You have to heat the cap until you hear the pop and see the teflon ooze out like those black snake fireworks. Once you see the ooze you can press or hammer it out. I hadnt heard of this before, thought I would pass it on since its only found in the m1009 rear shaft...

REGULATOR

my front shaft was already removed from my m1009,I just purchased I am going to swap the u joint while its out ( rusted and frozen up)

BUT there are no bolts to bolt it back to the Transfer case, does anyone know the correct size bolts so I can go buy some?

thanks