• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Drive Shaft Seizure

Pballer71

So a couple years back when i got my M1009 i managed to crack the transfer case clean in half. The mechanic said that it cracked because the front drive shaft seized up. Jump to a week ago and when i started leaking trans fluid really bad so i took it in to the same shop. So today i just got my m1009 back from the tranny shop and they said it was the same problem and that the front drive shaft completely froze up. You can't budge or move the u joints what so ever on the shaft its completely frozen in place. So my question is is this a common problem with k5's the shafts freezing up like this or is it just because it's old? Also, where do you think would be the best place to get a new one online or from a junk yard? And just to clarify there is about 50,000 miles on my m1009 with everything stock driveline wise. It is lifted six inches now, but the first time it froze up it was not so i don't think the sharper angle is the problem. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Skinny

Hard to believe it happened twice. It could happen if the shaft hasn't spun in years and was never greased but more than likely it would break free before an cracking the tcase. Now an over greased slip won't collapse and do the same thing. A slip won't really seize in a non-ifs truck because it always moves. Highly unlikely.

Chances are the axle is traveling back too far due to a broken leaf spring center pin or incorrect spring dimensions. Someone may have retubed the shaft too long or installed one of the wrong dimension.

Pballer71

I would say i use the four wheel a few times a month so it definitely hasn't just been sitting there. But i never thought about the axle moving back due to the a broken leaf spring center pin or the wrong spring size. I will definitely have to look at that tomorrow after work.

I got a m1008 that had the same problem and couldn't get it to move even with heat and dead blow hammer. I don't know if it stuck together or compressed too far down to where there were no more splines . I was thinking because of worn leaves there wasn't much travel left. I ended getting another from John at hillbilly wizard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks