• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front driveshaft boot

japickar

A couple of weeks ago when I installed my lift, I let the front differential droop down too far with the driveshaft still attached and ended up ripping the boot. I really want to replace it, but after asking around a little I was not that it is not absolutely necessary. Just wondering what everyone's opinions are on replacing it. Also, if I do replace it, does anyone have a part number for this boot? Thanks.

TCUCV

I was wondering the same thing, b/c the exact same thing happened to me while putting me lift on. I have had it submerged and took the truck thru the mud since its tear so I'm pretty concerned about how to repair it. Hope someone with insight chimes in...

Cucvnut

Its nothing to worry about. But I would lengthen the front drive shaft if you have splines showing.

Last edited:

GPrez

I just lifted my M1009 and had to replace the whole driveshaft. The new one didn't have the boot nor does any of the civilian ones from what I could tell. The civi ones also have a grease fitting whereas my original did not. That boot works like a CV Joint cover I believe so it's a sealed unit with a special grease that is meant to stay sealed. Apparently mine got contaminated as it was frozen solid and would not move. The boot was in perfect condition too, no holes. I tried soaking it, heat, a porta power, and it would not budge. I like having the grease fitting now.

GPrez

why would you do that when you can just take the yoke off and grease the splines. ?
So you don't have to take the yoke off in the future to grease it. Ever accidentally have one of the caps from your universal joint fall off and throw needle bearings all over the floor.

rnd-motorsports

Sorry cucvnut much easer to pump grease gun a few times then unbolt drive shaft to grease the slip! I'm getting old LOL.[thumbzup] Take off once and drill and tap for grease Zerk and be done . put Zerk close to the joint end of the slip to stay away from splines

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks