• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front driveshaft issues with Zero-Rates?

kapnklug

Looks like the front driveshaft will be a little too short on my M1009, with 2" front add-a-leaves, if I use Zero-Rate blocks to move the front axle forward by 1". The local shop wants $200 to lengthen the driveshaft! What if I plasma-cut a disk from a 1" thick block of steel, drill four holes in it to match the driveshaft flange, and using it to space the driveshaft off the transfer case yoke with longer grade 8 bolts? I can do that for nothing, but will I regret it???

Westech

CPL
what? I installed a 5 inch lift on my 09 and the front was fine, I only had to add 3/4 of a inch to the rear and really I did not have to do that. I think your mistaken. But if you want to do the puck/spacer idea it should work just fine. and I also had my axle moved a inch foward with the zero rates in the front with no drive shaft problem

four_by_ken

You shouldnt have a problem with a 1 inch zero rate, 2 inch add a leaves... or a combination of both.
I think some is wanting more of your money that they deserve.

Seems like a 4 inch lift is where the border line is. Some trucks are more than fine, and others need a little driveshaft tweak.

This holds for most 80s K5s.

Croatan_Kid

I'm running 4" springs and moved my axle forward 1.5" on my M1008 and I'm still using the stock driveshaft.

Weird...it seems to vary from truck to truck (or blazer to blazer), like the driveshaft guys just picked the length of the day lol.

kassim503

I think there is plenty of driveshaft length to go around, but if you did need to cook up a flange you could and bolt it to the front of the t-case. A minimal amount like 1" should not add any extra stress onto the yoke or anything. Just as a word of caution, there may be a groove that has to be machined into the spacer if your yoke is equipped with a centering ring.

kapnklug

I'm measuring the driveshaft with the front wheels off the ground (lifted by the D-rings). If I add in the 1" shift of the zero-rate, I have only 1/4" spline engagement left, which sounds pretty slim. Must've run out of tubing on a friday the day they built mine. Sounds like if I find a used driveshaft, there's a good chance it'll be longer.

Alredneck

Banned
Putting blocks on a front end is a big no-go!

Driveshaft spacers have pros and cons. If its going to be used offroad with a heavy right foot then you will probably be better off getting your lengthened.
I have sevaral M1009 shafts so if you give me your measurement I can measure a couple of mine to see a difference.

kapnklug

Hi Alredneck, checkout ORD zero-rate, it's not a lift block, it's part of the spring pack and a rather innovative product that allows you to change your wheelbase. I'm going to do the installation and repost with the new measurements. And try to keep from jumping 'er in the meantime.