• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front End "Floating" sensation

Somemedic

While driving at speed the front end has a tendancy to drift slightly. I just replaced the shocks and steering damper, Im guessing ball joints are on the horizon. As I recall theyre not too pricey but are they a PITA??? Air tools a must?

FWIW I havent lifted the front end up and tried shaking the tire (12oclock / 6oclock positions) but I have this crazy feeling.

tsmall07

If it is the ball joints, they aren't too hard to replace. You will need a hub socket for that 10 bolt, but air tools aren't needed. You'll also need a pickle for and a BFH. Once you get the knuckle off, you should take it to a shop to have the old BJs pressed out and the new ones pressed in.

tsmall07

I'd say you need to replace a TRE somewhere. To check, jack up the truck and try to turn the tires left and right and have a friend look at the joints to see if there is any movement in the joint.

Croatan_Kid

Hmm....

I would check both draglink ends, both tie rod ends, and the balljoints. You can't have a worn pitman arm as it doesn't actually contain a joint in itself.

In a way, just be glad you don't have kingpins :roll: Not hard to replace either, but the top ones can be a pain!

Somemedic

It doesnt go to one side specificly. When my dad drove the truck he said it was pretty noticable (I thought it was my imagination). I will take a look and let you know what I find.

beaubeau

Don;t jack up the vehicle. Have someone Shake the sreering wheel back and forth Quickly, as you check out the Tie rod ends, {also Listen closely, if Bad you can sometimes hear it Clunk} the Drag link, from steering box to left Knuckle. If all is tight, then go for Steering box bolts and then check Toe in or out. You can check this out wiyh a tape measure. I adjust mine at about 1/16 to 1/8 in toe in. Good luck, Phil

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have the alignment checked out. As 68impalass mentioned the toe in/out could be off. My M1009 felt like it was tracking weird. Kind of like running on tip toes. Found out my alignment was off.