• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Hub Conversion question

tourus

OK So I was over Helping A friend take apart the front hubs on his new to him 1 ton dually. He bought it for cheap money just for the axles. the rest is junk. He is putting the font and rear under a blazer.

now for the question. has anyone seen or heard of turning the front hob down so that a single wheel rim will fit over it.

I guess a better way is to say. put the hub in a lathe and turn it all down. cut the flange off and machine the rest down to a single. then there is a ring to weld on to strengthen the area where your stud will come through..

now said friend has friends in a machine shop that is going to do this for free(best).

Last edited by a moderator:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, been done many times. It's much weaker than a regular hub. There are only 8 little flanges to secure the wheels. These were designed to hold the rotors. Not sure of the engineering aspect of adding a plate for strength. Big question, what is he going to do to narrow the Dana 70? It's just as wide. An alternative is to run HMMWV rims.

Last edited:

Chaski

I was going to turn down DRW front hubs, then I looked at them a little more and decided to not be cheap and spend the $300 for a pair of new SRW front hubs from AC Delco that came with new rotors and bearing races. If you take a good look at it you will see that a turned down DRW hub is much weaker than a SRW hub.

tourus

well thanks for the reply's I will look into just buying hubs .. but money is a real issue sometime for said friend . but I am going to look at buying and then doing some swapping thanks for your time..

rollingcoal

I have the humvee 12 bolt bead lock wheels on 37 mt what hub assembly for the front should I buy? I don't want to put spacers in the front to get the rims to fit? any recommendations?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the humvee 12 bolt bead lock wheels on 37 mt what hub assembly for the front should I buy? I don't want to put spacers in the front to get the rims to fit? any recommendations?
Any GM 4x4 dually hub from 77-87 and V30 from 88-91 will work. I guess this is assuming you have GM Dana 60 front. Why don't you tell us what truck/axle you have?

rollingcoal

I have a 1985 K20 4x4 6.2 diesel. 4 inch lift other than that pretty much stock. I have a 14 bolt rear diff, and 12 bolt front diff.

rollingcoal

I took a look and verified that it is indeed a 10 bolt in the front. Rats. thank you for the help. time to start looking for an upgrade lol.