• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front leaf spring packs

rtadams89

The front leaf springs on my M35A2 look worn out, in that when parked the springs are very nearly flat. I don't see any broken leafs. The truck front end also has a slight lean to one side in the front. I see I can but a NOS front spring pack (2510-00-736-8628) for ~$250, but I imagine shipping is going to be not cheap, so I'm looking at around $700 to replace both sides. I could also have a spring pack made locally, but to do so, I'm going to need measurements, and given the state of my current spring packs, don't think I can reliably measure off them. I've also never had a spring pack custom made, so I have no idea what that would cost.

1) Am I better off buying NOS springs or having ones custom made locally?
2) If I should have them made locally, does anyone have the specs/measurements for the spring pack?
3) For anyone that has done a leaf pack change themselves, how easy was it?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
One may need more information, start with how many spring leaves you have now, do you see any broken?
Do you have a winch? What is the build nomenclature on the dash placard?
How does it steer right now. Has it been changed since it was built? What year was it built?
Have your read the TM?

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?114805-M35-2-5-Ton-Front-Springs

The data support no conclusions as yet.

View attachment spring front Deuce.pdf
springfront.jpg

There is a bunch of takeouts [cutouts] for sale on a popular auction site.

Last edited:

rtadams89

It’s a 71 w/w. Based off my reasearch here, it seemed the number of leaves had no correlation to winch or not and made not practical difference. Since I wasn’t even alive in ‘71, no idea if the steering has changed since it was built :)

I believe I have diagnosed the problem, just trying to figure out how to fix it: but NOS spring pack or have one custom made locally.

You might measure from the axle to the frame on both sides and compare that to what other members trucks are setting at . You may just need to add a leaf or two to each side to get the height you want . I added a few spring leafs to my M211 that I made into a tractor just so it set level .

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A spring shop can make up spring packs for you. Tell them how much arch you want in them. Used spring packs, when re-arched, usually won't hold the new arch long. Set it up that they have they materials on hand, etc., and a day. Then take your springs to them. One thing to note - the center bolt, may not be in the center, but offeset to one end, so be sure to check that. They will re-bush the shackles too. I have always been real happy with the work.

rtadams89

Which brings us back to, what are the measurements if I get the spring pack made locally? In particular the free arch of the springs?

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"Which brings us back to, what are the measurements if I get the spring pack made locally? In particular the free arch of the springs?"

As the NSN and part number as presented in the PDF leads to part target

http://www.parttarget.com/2510-00-9...3A.html/-2AA8C534-796A-42A7-9438-0D1EEEDCB296

Yes, We all wish for the original blueprints but perhaps, the above information could lead you to answer your question.

Probably the people that makes springs knows exactly what you need.
If they make them then they are the experts.

Last edited: