• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front lifting shackles?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Someone asked how a deuce is lifted - here's a photo of a M35A2 being loaded on the SS Wayne Victory in 1969. The occassion is 9th Infantry Division leaving Vietnam - as can be plainly seen, they are taking their equipment with them.

Wouldn't it be neat if a SS member had ol 4H5521 (VIN 012520317)!

Anyhow, back to the point. To lift a deuce, the front shackles are used, as are the large pins on the trunnions between the tandems. While these stevedores have merely routed the ship's crane cables through the guides and onto the pins (hidden), there was also produced a pair of spreader bars for this purpose, which shifts the lift point to just outboard of the bed sides.

If one attempts to lift a laden deuce by the rear shackles (which exist for safety chains and as a tie down point), you bend the frame of the truck - a photo of this is in one of Crismon's books.

Regards,
David

Attachments

emr

What a GREAT Pic!!! Man thats a cool shot, i have to notice the front shackle lift, no loop around the frame rails, as I would expect after seeing this, since they were meant to be towed for any distance by them, in a lift tow, why not .. since the Marine TM shown in a later post here, says to wrap front cable under the frame, does the army/ airforce manual say the same, I for one do not like to ever say the military only does or did something one way, they have and do it many ways, just like any thing else, it depends on the ability of the guy in charge that day. I think im going to wrap up my windshields in a piece of canvas like that for parades and stuff,its obviosly for shipping and keep possible broken glass contained, but to me looks cooler than the offical windshield cover, ..But that is one of the best pics around for sure, thanks for letting us see it!!!Randy

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Clear Shot of the shackles

Here is a clear shot of the shackles on an a3, also my M543A2 bumper has the two small holes in the top center of the bumper shown in figure326 with a small fixture attached #5,6, &7. anyone know what it is??
THanks,
James G.

Attachments

Re: A Clear Shot of the shackles

rumplecat said:
Here is a clear shot of the shackles on an a3, also my M543A2 bumper has the two small holes in the top center of the bumper shown in figure326 with a small fixture attached #5,6, &7. anyone know what it is??
THanks,
James G.
they may have more than one use but the only thing i have saw them used for is the hood support on the 900's.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rumple,

The thing in the center of the bumper is where the operator secures the m900 series hood's "handle/catch" when the hood is open. It's on every 900 series 5 ton.

emr

My thought was the bottom of the a3 bumper? are they 3 or 4 holes i cant remember, they sure look like 5 tonners though,,If u have a five tonner already put em on the bottom of the bumper, ive hung bottom a set on both deuces and both 5 tonners, i like the 4 shackles up front...amd just got a set to convert my M38 to them too, i will like it anyway, I tow bar so much its wirth it, they are worth there weight, they can go on most anything with some imagination,,,, randy