• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front pinion nut

connectingbar

Does anyone have a trick to loosen the fron pinion nut on a deuce??

I have tried with all my might with a cheater bar and the wheel tourque lug wrench. I do not have a 3/4 impact ( not yet)

Any thoughts???

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good strong 1/2 inch impact can do it, but the 3/4 WILL do it.

connectingbar

Removed the cotter pin, soaked with pb blaster still no go ( under manual power) Would attaching a breaker bar and socket and driving the truck in reverse with the bar on the leaf spring work?/

mudguppy

yes. i'd ratchet strap against the breaker bar near the socket end to ensure the socket stays fully seated on the pinion nut.

done it on an early bronco before, not a deuce - it's all the same concept.

800summit

Make it easy on yourself and use the impact gun, I tried using a cheater bar once and I only tried it once, use a gun to do it, works great and will not move the rig forward or back

BugEyeBear

You'll find LOTS of other uses for that impact wrench down the road!

You will no doubt kick yourself for not buying one earlier!!

QUICK STORY...
Back in college (a very long time ago...) I bought an old rusty VW Bus (Van) for a couple hundred $$.
Brakes were only working on the front wheels, so I decided to pull the rear drums in my apartment parking lot and see what the problem was.
This was one of those VW setups where the rear drum/hub combo is held on by one BIG center nut. I spent close to an hour with a huge breaker bar, cheater bar, and a small sledge hammer trying to get that nut free. It simply wouldn't budge (probably because the Bus had lived near the ocean for a few years).
I decided to take a beer break, and while I was standing some 20 feet away from the Bus all of my efforts finally showed some results. The Bus fell off the jack and landed right where I'd been sitting 5 minutes earlier! :doh:
I then decided it was wise to take the Bus to a mechanic.
He grabbed his air-impact gun and that bolt spun right off in an instant!

1st Lesson Learned: Use the right tool the 1st time.
2nd Lesson Learned: ALWAYS use jack stands.
3rd Lesson Learned: NEVER sit with your crotch directly below the brake drum!! :shock:

(Hopefully I'm smarter now... Hopefully....)

"Cheers!" :beer:
-Bear-

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks