• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front shackle mounts

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I just bought a 1008 that is an ex-TX Forest service truck. I am planning on flat towing it home but, I don't know if my tow bar feet will fit the front brackets.
Can one of you tell me the width of the front shackle tubes?
I have medium tow bar feet and am wondering if they are wide enough to be put in place of the shackles?

Thanks in advance.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they are 1" pins they will fit fine. The CUCV tubes are the same width as the Deuce and M809, M939 series.

I have towed many CUCV with the medium towbar feet with the 1" pins.

Last edited:

markg

OK, I just bought a 1008 that is an ex-TX Forest service truck.
Wich one did you get? i went and picked up mine yesterday(1-23) in the rain and cold. i hauled mine . i took a military key but they had changed the lock. make sure you bring tools to unlock the steering if you plan on towing, and of course a spare or two! thanks. mark

I posted dimensions of the front clevis hooks somewhere for another user. i have an adjustable tow bar that fits anything. ive had the most problem when flat towing with tires and wore out front ends causing the towed vehicle to pull very squirley.

One more thing, i needed 4 wheel drive to get back to my truck. it was slick.

Last edited:

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wich one did you get? i went and picked up mine yesterday(1-23) in the rain and cold. i hauled mine . i took a military key but they had changed the lock. make sure you bring tools to unlock the steering if you plan on towing, and of course a spare or two! thanks. mark

I posted dimensions of the front clevis hooks somewhere for another user. i have an adjustable tow bar that fits anything. ive had the most problem when flat towing with tires and wore out front ends causing the towed vehicle to pull very squirley.

One more thing, i needed 4 wheel drive to get back to my truck. it was slick.
I bought the one with chrome wheels and the utility bed.
I didn't think about the steering wheel lock! Guess I might have to just pull the steering wheel and take the lock plate off OR, knock the drag link loose...
Any suggestions on how to defeat the steering lock?
Other than that, I have an Ibis tow bar, medium feet, chain for safety chain, generator and air compressor and a spare tire.
I also carry a pretty good tool selection because I also do field work on fire trucks on my off days.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't think about the steering wheel lock! Guess I might have to just pull the steering wheel and take the lock plate off OR, knock the drag link loose...
Other than that, I have an Ibis tow bar, medium feet, chain for safety chain, generator and air compressor and a spare tire.
I also carry a pretty good tool selection because I also do field work on fire trucks on my off days.
Study the pictures of the tires (if any) carefully. Several of the TFS CUCVs had mostly bad tires, meaning not towable. The CUCV with the huge BFGs had a severe right rear belt separation.

markg

I have 4 trucks right now, 3 of them had the original military lock , you may luck out, but if you need to pull the lock you need a steering wheel puller, lock plate depressor, all available at the auto parts store or harbor freight. the pin that hold the lock cylinder in is either torx or philips head. you can leave it out till you get home. i put the two best tires in front for obvious reasons. i have had a tire blow on the towed vehicle before. it wrecked both vehicles. i was lucky no one else was around. what i do now is get on the road pointed straight and tie the steering wheel with a bungy cord. a little bit of a pain when turning sharp corners but worth it the long run. thanks. mark

the 1028 truck i bought had 4 good tires that were all up. the steering was locked but i was able to suck it up on my trailer. weather was just above freezing until i got about 10 miles out and it started to sleet but made it home ok.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks