• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front spring rating

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the 209-10 (1965), the multifuelers have a front spring of "heavier construction" compared to the gasoline powered trucks. In some old notes of mine, I'm showing a rating of 8,000 lb for the multifuelers. Does anybody know if that is correct?

Looking at the data tags, the front axle loading is effected more by the weight of the winch than full rated load in the bed.
That is the reason for removing the winch on my deuce. The crane added 1,000 lb on the front axle alone and I can feel a big difference in steering effort depending on the location of the crane boom.
With boom folded in a figure "4" config behind the cab, the weight on the front axle is 7,900 lb compared to 7,250 when it is resting on the rear edge of the bed.

George asked if I considered increasing the rating of the front springs. Yes and no, with the crane I have a pretty good control of the loading and if it stays around 7,000 max, the steering effort is just right, easy on the highway and not too bad in the dirt. 7,900 lb off-road is not that easy to deal with since I don't have power steering.
I have considered getting fresh springs since my 37 year old ones don't look new any more.
That kind of sums it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks