• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front springs worn out?

rfischba1

Anyone have this problem w/ their M1008?
Truck wants to pull hard to the right when giving it fuel, also shakes at times.
My mechanic asy the front leaf springs are worn out,

I'm my own mechanic so take what I say with a grain of salt. Mine still shakes from time to time but nothing like it did when I got it.

I'd give the front suspension a thorough going over. Leaf springs will sag over time, and the bushings at the ends can go south, but before I replaced them I would check all the balljoints: pitman arm, idler arm, center link, tie rod ends (both ends of both tie rods). An easy check is to raise the front of the truck so the tires are off the ground and have someone move the tires back and forth while you check over the steering stuff.

Also make sure the power steering gear bolts are tight, and that the frame isn't bent or cracked where it mounts. This is a known issue on these trucks, and one that can be very dangerous if not caught in time. There are kits you can get to reinforce the frame there, or you can always make your own braces.

Other than the steering stuff, there's the A-arm bushings, wheel bearings, kingpins, and a few more parts I'm sure I am forgetting. If any of these parts are loose or bad, it can cause shaking and pulling, as well as tires(even if they look ok to the naked eye); different pressures in the front tires can cause pulling like you mentioned.

hobie237

I'd bet your mechanic is an idiot. Find a new one. Shaking can be anything from an out of balance wheel to a bent drive shaft, or even a worn out steering stabilizer (which I find to be pretty common items to be skipped over in any truck). As for pulling when giving it power, in trucks with lockers that can almost always be traced to different tire pressures in the rear of the truck.

hobie237

What? Cause shaking? Maybe, particularly at idle. So would a busted balancer, misfire, or a host of other things. Which is why I suspect the mechanic is an idiot. Worn out leaf springs don't even make my list of things to suspect for these symptoms, particularly the fronts.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hobie237, I was acutally referring to the truck pulling to the side when he accelerates. Seems I've encountered this in the past on other vehicles. In any case, it's worth looking at in order to eliminate potential causes.

rfischba1

I beleive he may be wrong also on this one. I will check the tire pressure, I do beleive they are out of balance. Again the front end shakes like the RF wheel is falling of every now and end. But telling me the front end looks good, no worn out parts , only the springs are shot. Just does not make sence. He checked motor mounts, drive shaft, u joints, and front end ball joints tie rods and said they are ok,
I did notice my RF tire wearing out on the inside, real bad.

hobie237

Engine mounts- possible, though somewhat unlikely. As I said, the typical explanation is a difference in tire pressures, which in a normal car with an open rear would be a non-issue, but with a locker, it causes pulling. I've not come across engine mount issues that caused pulling like he describes, although, it is theoretically possible.

Edit- I'd take everything this guy says with a grain of salt, check over it all yourself, particularly the dampers at all four corners (shocks) and on the steering, along with the tires (balance and pressure). Does the shaking happen at the same roadspeeds each time?

This falls under the old adage of "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." In other words, check the obvious stuff (as named) before the less obvious and somewhat bizarre stuff (like the springs being worn out).

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, if it feels as though the wheel is "wobbling" and falling off then you may have what's been described on this site as the "death wobble". M1008's have king pins, not ball joints and they may need repair or replacement. Do a search for WOBBLE or KING PIN in the CUCV forum. The pulling when accellerating may or may not be related. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

Anyone have this problem w/ their M1008?
Truck wants to pull hard to the right when giving it fuel, also shakes at times.
My mechanic asy the front leaf springs are worn out,
I 'm 99% sure it a tire/wheel issue. For a quick check rotate the tires and make sure the tire pressure is correct. Drive it and see if makes any differents.

Crash_AF

To check the king pins, jack up the suspect wheel, place a 2x4 under it for leverage and lift up. If the tire/wheel assembly moves, either the wheel bearings are loose or the king pins are worn out. If there is movement, have a helper watch the steering knuckle while you lift the wheel again to see where the movement is.

With the wear pattern on the inside of the tire, I'd bet that either the bearings are loose or the king pins are worn.

Later,
Joe

hobie237

Mechanic:[Inspects car, finds that tires are low]- Your, uh (thinking of easy yet somewhat pricey part to replace), front leaf springs are worn out. Yeah, that's it....
You: Ok, fix it. When can I pick it up?
Mechanic: Uh, give me two hours.
You: OK.
Mechanic: Goes back in shop, shines up leaf springs and adds air to tires. Bills you for big bucks. Wonders why he is considered untrustworthy.

Seriously, though, glad you got it figured out and it wasn't any big deal.

jj

It would almost be worth the price of the invoice to see the guy try to shine up my leaf springs. But you make a point. If you have some knowledge about any subject, it is an automatic defense against "shady characters" trying to pull a fast one on some unsuspecting "rube".

HikerLT

my recently acquired M1008 had the Death Wobble....I replaced all 4 tires with brand new ones and also found the steering damper was dented and leaking - so replaced it with a new one....Problem solved. Passed inspection, no issues seen with tie rod ends, king pins, etc.....must have been the old cracked out of balance tires and the dented leaking steering damper....

rfischba1

Like I said before, added air to the tires, all were low, does not pull during acceleration, but if I hit a bump at about 30 mph, I still get the death wobble. I will have the king pins checked out . Where is the stearing damper located?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks