• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front suspension mods AKA - ride improvement mods AKA - butt happiness mods

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Truck came from Honeywell rebuild in 2012. It was a very nice truck till the engine gave out at 330miles. Overall the truck was in great shape. The spring breaking it just from the roads I believe there is a lot of slamming and bucking going on especially with a long neck trailer I am sure that is what caused it. They have no moisture on them so that isn't the case. I am going over to the rear spring setup that the wreckers use. I believe it will better suit me.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI I keep a bottle of 50:50 acetone and ATF in a spray bottle in the garage. Gun cleaner, and penetrating oil, it is as good as some say. It works. I guess the acetone lowers to viscocity to nothing.

Interesting note, acetones boiling point is very low 132.8 you can watch it boil off if you spray the mixture on something warm. Interesting sight.

someoldmoose

bwana and S D, I actually felt a little ree ree when I read about that (redneck penetrant, if I may) on here. Been turnin' wrenches since I was old enuff to hold one and have NEVER heard of it. But after thinking about it, the boss bought what he wanted used and if it worked then it's usually what I got for "personal" use. Coulda saved a large sum perhaps.

Anyway, since this thread is for 5 ton front suspension mods, the only thing I plan to do to enhance ride quality initially is to keep grease in anything with a zerk, lower all the tire pressures to the lowest SAFE (chalk check) pressure, and make sure the spring-ride driver's seat works as well as possible.

Last edited:

Mos68x

Just add something useful to the front like a winch, heavy bumper or storage boxes...or all of the above. Replace shocks with some gas units and keep the shackle pins well greased. Make those springs work a little and you'll find comfort.

My front axle scales 12,700# as it sits in the picture. It's like driving a cloud. Even a couple hundred pounds will make a bigger difference than you think. I didn't add all that at once.

View attachment 684234
You got some more pictures of that front bumper and winch setup you have SD?

Mos68x

Found the pics, looks real nice SD! Right now I'd be happy with frame extensions and a winch, then I'll worry about replacing the front bumper. But the idea of mounting and hinging from the front shackle points is great if I never do get around to replacing the bumper.

Csm Davis

I would like to chime in I put air bags on top of my leaf springs and I removed one spring so far and there is no noticeable difference my plan is to remove two more and stop at that if it doesn't improve I am working with a spring company to make a progressively load handling spring similar to a Lmtv spring the problem with my truck it is a camper and I can't haul a heavier load other than a trailer which is on the rear so it should be able tweak easily, I also found out that since I have a 8.3 it's a lil lighter than the 250 engine but I believe they both use the same spring, so with this said the springs are just to heavy for normal use around house, I put a camera under truck focused on spring and unless you jump a railroad track they DO NOT FLEX more that a 1/4 inch on normal LOUISANA roads!
Here is a picture of the setup Profo did.//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/593ce607e6702/IMG_9131.jpg?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

quickfarms

Yes one is broke and starting to walk out. One is just cracked. This is the second set of springs on two different bogeys.

I will post some pics tonight in my 60k mile report.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
A cracked or broken spring is a red tag item and the truck is out of service until the spring is replaced

quickfarms

I you people want to endanger the lives of the other people on the road as well as yours then this hobby is doomed.

A broken leaf Spring can pop out and go through someone else's windshield killing a person in the car, it can also shred tires, air lines or worse.

I have seen a lot of crazy stuff over the years.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I you people want to endanger the lives of the other people on the road as well as yours then this hobby is doomed.

A broken leaf Spring can pop out and go through someone else's windshield killing a person in the car, it can also shred tires, air lines or worse.

You can barely get the dang thing out with the spring pack dissassembled.

I have seen a lot of crazy stuff over the years.
That broken lower spring will not come out. It will only walk so far before the bend and force of its sister spring stops it. It will hit the A1 spring brake can holders. But no airlines.

Also your the safety critic that assumes it is being driven on. Give it a rest.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

someoldmoose

It's been a few days, so I am back in here with an idea. Replace the ENTIRE front suspension of an M820 with an Oshkosh or Meritor independent front suspension module.

MRAP Steering Axle Assembly 1.jpg

The only engineering I haven't nailed down is whether the front prop shaft will line up or if some kind of "transfer case" would be needed at the pumpkin, since the Rockwell is a top loader. I can buy a "complete" module from a place for around $6500 US. I know about matching the ratios, this axle is air brakes - rears air over, and so on. Any other thoughts ? Aaaaaaaand here . . . we . . . go.

p.s. If I hit the MegaMillions, I'll get three and do ALL THE AXLES.

Like the "new" avatar pic Wes.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a brilliant idea, so, I'll figure out the transfer case issue, you go get the front end and meet me here. I'll buy the beer and hire some youngmooses to do the lifting while we sit back and tell each other how smart we are!

someoldmoose

You no yanky my cranky ? I am seriously considering this. I figure a nice under-over gear case, with the gears in the T-case made to "align" the ratios of the diff. and portal ends of the front with the ratio in the rear pumpkins.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had the disposable income, and if I thought it would add $6500 in value to the truck. Accessories rarely bring much in the case of a resale. No idea what this would add in value. I'd love to think it would add its cost or at least 75% or so.

I will give you props for the best idea yet though. I like it. Swamp donk did post a pic of a similar setup, so he gets props as well.

I think Swamp Donk had the cheapest, and best mod in "Just add more weight to the front". My winch weighs 140, the mounting system will be at least 75lbs if not more. I thought about strapping a HEMTT wheel and tire to the front bumper for a drive around test.

I have a stack of rail road rails that I have been itching to find a project for ... maybe I'll weld up a RR rail grill guard!