• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front tire wear on the deuce

2Deuces wild

34787 monroe Gas Magnums. shockwarehouse.com $45 each. all you need to do is cut the rubber bushing down a little and jack up the body because the shock is a little longer and the stud is a little shorter than the OEM shock. Were yellow STG now od green.

Last edited:

NRG

Does this fit the definition of "Cupping"...I ran these tires brand new 600 miles, no problem, same trip the following year, and this is the new result: I cannot figure out what changed or why all the sudden the tires burned the tread up.

From my understanding, "cupping" is the damage done to your tire from worn shocks. When you are going down the road normally your tire is flat on the ground and stable thanks to your shock. But when you have a bad shock your tire is no longer planted on the ground with stability. It will shake or bounce up and down causing weird "cupping" like wear on the tires.

With your problem, i would say you have a bad shock and you need to adjust your toe-in alignment once you put a brand new tire on that side.

jollyroger

I hope that does not happen to my 395's. I would be madder than a mountain lion if I had to replace those every 500-1000 miles. It is bad enough with the NDT 9.00's. I have been thinking about upgrading the shocks to some good off road shocks. I will post up when I find what fits. I have also been thinking about running double shocks as the stock ones are really dinky conpared to the axle, tire, weight of the deuce.

txdodge43man

My passenger tire started to cup so i changed the shock out and use neoprene bushings instead of rubber it helped for about three years then it started again. I just in stalled a rig mount on my truck and it fixed the cupping problem lol.

tm america

mine was eating up ndts like crazy but it.s not wearing the xls .i think the compound of the ndts is a fast wearing tire even with everything right but i would get you and angle finder and a tape measure and chech it just to be sure.the caster - camber should be pretty close to straight with tires straight and ussually 1/4-1/2 in toed in for the toe .i have seen alot of bent axles to just some things to look at.if tire is scalped on the whole tread you need shocks if its just the sides its alinement thats out of whack

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Hmmm. Just bought a set of brand new 11.00 Firestone T831s and I haven't been able to find any posts about how well these newer radials are wearing.

A buddy of mine at work said he had the T831s on his 18 wheeler and put a couple hundred thousand miles on them, i know thats mostly straight down interstates but he said "they don't wear".

ironhorsethegeneral

I have always rotated the tires in the front side to side to avoid tire problems and it makes the rear tires last longer just like a car. If you keep them rotated they will not wear as fast. They will not get as lumpy. Hope this 2 cents helps.

jesusgatos

Hah. I still think yer pulling my leg, but thanks for checking. That's crazy. I'd have been thrilled to get 50,000 miles out of them. I figured the rears would wear pretty well, but would have guessed the fronts would be toasted in 20,000 miles or less. Wasn't sure if it would end up making more sense to rotate them with the rears, or just replace the fronts that many more times.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Hah. I still think yer pulling my leg, but thanks for checking. That's crazy. I'd have been thrilled to get 50,000 miles out of them. I figured the rears would wear pretty well, but would have guessed the fronts would be toasted in 20,000 miles or less. Wasn't sure if it would end up making more sense to rotate them with the rears, or just replace the fronts that many more times.
Just thought about it, 18 wheelers don't have a drive axle in front, and they have power steering so the alignments set up different and they only push with the fwd rear axle, so that gets rid of alot of the scrubbing and stuff we deal with. And he said he rotates them often.

jesusgatos

I was thinking the same thing, but I just got an air-shift transfer-case and I'm planning on running locking hubs on as many axles as I can afford to put them on. I'll probably get awesome wear if I unlock the hubs on all three axles, huh? How much weight are the front axles of those big trucks carrying?

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Don't know about front axle weight, but he said truck weighs 'bout 18,000lbs. but its all pansy a$$ fiberglas and plastic, lol.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just thought about it, 18 wheelers don't have a drive axle in front, and they have power steering so the alignments set up different and they only push with the fwd rear axle, so that gets rid of alot of the scrubbing and stuff we deal with. And he said he rotates them often.

I never had an over the road truck that I would rotate my drives to the front. Not the kind of tread you want up there! I favored the Goodyear G167's on the drives with steel wheels, earlier version of the G177, and they would do 300,000 if you didn't cut them up and checked the air regular. I never liked the early Goodyear G159 steering tire as it couldn't keep the shoulders on it. I started running a General Ameristeel Tire on the front and it didn't lose shoulder tread or cup. I always had Alcoas for the fronts. The fronts were lucky to go 100k. I stopped driving full time 1988.

Last edited: