• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front wheel bearing stuck.....

Hal O'Peridol

Well, it just keeps getting better......

When cleaning off the gunk on the spindle I found the area underneath where the outer wheel bearing race sits is heavily damaged. Looks like it spun a bit before sticking to the spindle.

4bogginchevys

I got lots of old chevy 1/2 ton parts, and i'm just on the other side of the state. Feel free to contact me for anything you cant find locally:-D (shipping cant be that much)

Hal O'Peridol

Thanks for the offer 4boggin...

Went to the local machine shop today to get the bearings pressed in...... the shop guy came back out and said "these are the wrong bearings!":shock::shock: Walked back around the building to the NAPA store and traded for a different bearing race...seems there are two different sizes....

I had the shop guy look at my spindle and he recommended that I not reuse it due to the damage. I had just spent most of yesterday and this AM calling around and looking for a spindle with no luck, and I told him so. Another guy in the shop overheard this and mentioned he had a friend with a Suburban with the right axle, that he was getting ready to scrap.

He called the friend up, and tomorrow I go and pick up a complete axle for 50 bucks. :-D Finally a break in this epic saga of CUCV repair!

91W350

Makes you want to have a couple of old hulks laying arouund... good thing my yard is not bigger, there would be an ocean of Chevys back there...

Hal O'Peridol

Yard already looks bad enough, got a m101 trailer, 1978 IH Scout, 1946 CJ2A, 1944 GPW and my M1009. anything more and the town code enforcers will be after me!

acmunro

I guess I got lucky when my M1031 front wheel bearing failed. The outer bearing exploded - welded the inner race to the spindle, the inner adjustment nut snapped in half. It did ruin the spindle threads so I had to replace that but at least it came apart pretty easy.

Hal O'Peridol

When I last posted, I had bought a complete front axle for 50 bucks.

In between rainstorms and such I was able to take off one of the spindle from the donor axle. put said spindle on the M1009 and it bolted up just fine, no issues!!

Packed the bearings, assembled the hub, and proceeded to fit hub to spindle. Did all the proper torquing/etc, still has horrible grinding noise.

A couple weeks later dodging raindrops, finally got some nice weather!! Some kind of bright, glowing orange ball up in the sky... found out the grinding noise was from the rear of the hub rubbing on the bolts holding the spindle on.

Couldn't figiure out why, so took what was left of old hub to compare.......looks the same....

Then thought maybe the rear bearing wasn't seating right, so took extra bearing and placed it on the spindle.....:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Spindle was about 3/8 inch UNDERSIZE!!

Pulled that spindle off, went to see guy that sold me the axle......."Oh, uh, I guess that ones a Spicer/Warn axle." Got my money back but nothing for pain and aggravation.:evil:

Took my old spindle to the machine shop that pressed my bearing races in. He took a look at it and said he would try to clean it up for me, but no guarantees.

Got that back, and the rest of the story........

went back together like it was supposed to do. Gonna take it out tomorrow for its test drive. Should be fine. (Famous last words!)