• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front wheel bearings

Adam Brice

Hi guys,
So I was successful with changing my rear brakes, wheel cylinders, and bearings. I get to the front, had a fun time getting inner wheel bearing apart (in peices). See attached photo.
Anyhow, my new inner bearing seems just slightly too small, and doesn't quite want to slide onto the spindle.
Are the front bearings the same as the rears? I got my parts from big Mike's, and I included a pic of bearing part number as well. I don't think the number on the old bearing is still visible. Does anyone have a Timken part number? My new chinese one reads
NCB China 0920 3994

Also, is it possible that my spindle could just need some work?
Thank you20211031_173644.jpg20211031_152551.jpg20211031_153105.jpg

runk

Here is what my parts spreadsheet tells me -
(but I put it together several years ago, and you might want to verify the numbers in the parts TM)
parts, Wheel bearing, inner, front or rear3110-00-087-3930Timken 3994
parts, Wheel bearing, outer, front or rear3110-00-087-9881Timken 392

Adam Brice

Here is what my parts spreadsheet tells me -
(but I put it together several years ago, and you might want to verify the numbers in the parts TM)
parts, Wheel bearing, inner, front or rear3110-00-087-3930Timken 3994
parts, Wheel bearing, outer, front or rear3110-00-087-9881Timken 392
Hey! At least the 3994 is in there! Maybe I just need to clean up my spindle a bit more? Thank you sir.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi guys,
So I was successful with changing my rear brakes, wheel cylinders, and bearings. I get to the front, had a fun time getting inner wheel bearing apart (in peices). See attached photo.
Anyhow, my new inner bearing seems just slightly too small, and doesn't quite want to slide onto the spindle.
Are the front bearings the same as the rears? I got my parts from big Mike's, and I included a pic of bearing part number as well. I don't think the number on the old bearing is still visible. Does anyone have a Timken part number? My new chinese one reads
NCB China 0920 3994

Also, is it possible that my spindle could just need some work?
Thank youView attachment 849443View attachment 849441View attachment 849442
My guess is that a little emery cloth will clean up the spindle. If you don't have that, course steel wool is the same with more effort. Don't get carried away. Buff a little, test fit it dry - and repeat.

It looks like your truck may have taken a few trips through a creek or two.

Adam Brice

My guess is that a little emery cloth will clean up the spindle. If you don't have that, course steel wool is the same with more effort. Don't get carried away. Buff a little, test fit it dry - and repeat.

It looks like your truck may have taken a few trips through a creek or two.
Yessir, it sure does. I do have Emery cloth, and plumbers sandscreen, so I'll do just that. Be a little work, but not too bad.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking your inter seal is install backwards, If I remember right. That maybe why you got water in the baerings.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having just done my front end I'd pull the brake housing and check the axel and seal. Had to replace an axle as it was dragging on the axle seal.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking your inter seal is install backwards, If I remember right. That maybe why you got water in the baerings.
That seal might be worn, but nothing else. (See my drawing which is to scale: it would be very difficult to install that seal backwards and have it stay put...)

Usually water gets into the hub, coming from the steering knuckle through the spindle, and caused by ripped boots.

1635784877977.png

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went and found a seal, bearing, and race. The seal should rub on the race as the hub turns. If your seal has "outside" on it that should face the motor.000_0089.JPG000_0090.JPG000_0091.JPG

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last pic look funky. With the hub and therefore the race off, what is that metal ring the rubber appears to be riding on? It is pretty gunked up.

Adam Brice

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks