• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front wheel drive seem to stay on, advise please !

DM3

I have a M923A2 I’m trying to find away to reduce my fuel consumption, but when running up a muddy hill someone saw the front wheels pulling but I didn’t have the front wheel engaged/locked. Is it possible that I have been running in 6-wheel drive without knowing? When I engage the front wheel lock a light does come on. Or does it stay in 6-wheel all the time?
Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That low range air switch that hits the transfer case shift rod is internally spring loaded to the disengaged position, it does not take much to keep the activating throw arm stuck in the engaged position, also the throw arm is clamped to switch shaft, if a bit loose it can move out of position on the shaft which can cause a engagement issue.

DM3

I would like to Thank everyone for their support and help with this issues I will be under my truck tomorrow.

Darrell

Big Tex

I am not sure what could be making it stick. I know my HI/LOW range is sticking BAD and won't switch easily or even switch. I think it may have something to do with under the chassie the limiter switch. You may have a similar problem.

ANYONE know what the limiter switch does under the chassie for the high/low range? It seams broken. Is it supposed to be in front or beind the washer by the long age?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big Tex - In my experience, sometimes the tranny shifter linkage is not adjusted quite right. Within the shifter is a switch that should make when neutral is selected, sending power to the switch on the tip of the transfer case shifter, eventually unlocking the transfer case solenoid.

With the engine off, main power and ignition switch on, depress the transfer case shifter button and listen for the solenoid on the t-case to click. If it doesn't click, then while depressing the switch on the transfer case shifter, try wiggling the tranny shifter to and froe within the neutral position. If it clicks at either extreme of the neutral position, you can readjust the cable length at the transmission to get the switch to activate closer to the center of the neutral position.

As for the washer on the linkage and the air switch with the roller arm, That engages the front axle when in low range. Many threads on that thing.