• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front wheel drive switch

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
73M819:freewheeling hubs won't work on a deuce sprage set up :

Can you quallify for the inexperienced transmission people on here WHY the free wheel hubs (expensive and recommended! ) modification in many previouse posts notes and encouragement don't work??. or by the same token therefore a waste of time and money.

An air shift negates the need. (freewheel hubs)Freewheels from the Hubs?

Sprag. Slipping conditions, not requiring 6x6 (freewheel hub) desired/selected by the driver). ((nothing rotates)).

Does Not engage as the driver Desired. Freewheels un-locked:
6x6 is selected by the driver (thro' sprag and freewheel hub).
If a sprag, it engages when the xcase senses when the rears are spinning ( going faster then the front) due to the OVER RUN clutch, with the free wheeling hubs the xcase will think the rears ARE spinning and engage the sprag which in turn will drive the front axle, just not the WHEELS,

On a air shift there is NO overrun clutch so the f/r out put is the same, with free wheeling hubs, in this case nothing moves if the front is not engaged.

Does this help, if not, I'll try again

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the sprag type transfer case is less desirable but Memphis Equipment has a kit to make them a bit better but Ive never used one personally. The 5 tons have a sprag that is much better than the one that comes on the M35A2 and nobody seems to have any problems with them. The lit may be something you could look into instead of going through the trouble of replacing a working transfer case.
A properly adjusted deuce sprag transfer will work as good as a 5t, the problem is a lot of people are used to a civiy 4x4 where thay can 4x in and out, SO if thay can't do that thay THINK anything ealse is crap and/or do not want to take the time to keep things in adjustment.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

73M819 I managed to track back to the thread and your answer. I have E.mailed your answer to them, which also supports my comments to them. Thanks. D.M.

Last edited: