• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Winch A-Frame Kit

LOBO

I was thumbing through my tech manual and came across a figure describing a front winch A-Frame Kit. This looks like something I could really use if not for work at least for hunting. Does anyone know the dimensions for the frame or where I could get the specs to build one? The TM I was using is the 9-2320-260-10, Pg. 2-33.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since this is in the 5-ton forum I assume you're talking about a 5-ton. I'm unsure how well a A-frame will work on a 5-ton with the winch line coming out from under the bumper.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think it must have worked well on a 5ton as the seortm/bat wing vans had them as part of their standard kit. On the roof just in from where the wings hinge there are the guy wire attachment points.

I remeber seeing a JA Tonka picture of a, ithink, WWII van with one installed at a static display.

I will someday make a set for my Seortm van. Just aver I get the dukw in the water. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

6x6guy

From pictures and drawing I've seen, with the wire rope wrapped around the rear end of the vehicle and through the vehicles pintal assembly and back to the hoist for support of same.
Securing the wire rope supports other than that would deform and might dislodge the attached body from the frame.:roll:

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Since this is in the 5-ton forum I assume you're talking about a 5-ton. I'm unsure how well a A-frame will work on a 5-ton with the winch line coming out from under the bumper.
Think it would just be a matter of bring the cable out from under the bottom roller , this would give you a direct to the A -frame tip feed off the top, back of the winch, this also would be a MAJOR production on tensoner/level wind winches.

135gmc

There were versions of the crane available for trucks as small as an M37. The front two stiff legs were braced by a cable that ran back to the pintle. The cranes worked well, particularly if you doubled the cable with a snatch block to slow the winch speed. The biggest problem is that the final result needed the proverbial "40 acres to turn around". If you have the room to maneuver one, they are a handy rig. When I had one on my M37, steering got a lot harder fast unless the tire pressure was increased by about 25%.

LOBO

Plenty of great ideas here, thanks for all the input. Now I have to determine the diameter and thickness of the A-Frame arms. Looking to make brackets for the bumper out of 1/2" steel and support plates to reinforce the bumper. I also have some spare jacks which I think I will use to support the bumper during lifting ops.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-211-34-2-4 19-30 aprox page 209 adobe page counter
There are multiple drawings giving the entire installation procedure.

You will note that the windshield is down. Don't even think about doing this
if you have a hard top. The support cable would have to go right through it.
Luckily I was warned about this since I have a hard top on mine now.

I am in the process of making an A frame from the next two sizees up of tow bars
and mount it on the rear. (the two sizes nest in each other) I got them from
a friend who told me the procedure a long time ago when I bought the truck.
I can barely lift these pieces, so there is no way I would ever have anything
big enough to tow with them. I will run cables down to a frame strut I will add
near the front of the bed for support. Then use a chain hoist instead of a winch.

This plan is still in flux. All depends on time and energy and my stupid body
which is all screwed up.

Bruce