• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Winch PTO Grinding on M936A2 Wrecker

ccbamatx

Hey Guys... new member here.

I just bought a M936A2 from Ft. Hood, TX.

I am trying to test the front winch. The rear winch and boom winch work just fine.

Starting on page 0016-8, TM 9-2320-272-10 says to operate the front winch.....

4. Engage power takeoff by pulling back on PTO control lever

This is assuming:

o The transmission selector lever is in neutral (Page 0016-2); and
o The parking brake is engaged (Page 0016-2);and
o The transfer case shift lever is in neutral; and
o The transfer case power takeoff lever is forward (or dis-engaged)

With all this in place, when I pull back on the PTO control lever... I just get grinding.

Your thoughts on what I should try next?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M936 has an automatic transmission, no clutch. Double check the operators TM instructions, sound like you have blended the procedures. Make sure the winch lock is "out", winch lever "out". Let me do a little reading.

smittyjr355

You will also need the transfer case in gear for this so when you put transmission in gear the trans stops spinning and you can engage pto.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to put transmission in gear to engage pto then put back in neutral to run the winch.
Yep, -10 Operators manual, WP0016-8 Front winch ops: step 6: place transmission in 1-5 (drive) pull winch (transmission) pto lever to engage. return transmission to neutral.

ccbamatx

Thanks to all for the replys... still grinding. Here are the steps the TM says:

4. Engage power takeoff by pulling back on PTO control lever (Page 0016-8)
NOTES: This is the grinding point
5. Pull up on parking brake handle to engage parking brake. Place transmission selector lever (Figure 6, Item 1) in 1-5 (drive) and pull transmission power takeoff control lever (Figure 6, Item 2) back to ENGAGE. Return transmission selector lever (Figure 6, Item 1) to N (neutral).
NOTES: This works just fine... except I never got the PTO control lever by the dash engaged in #4
6. Pull front winch control level back to WIND and hold.
NOTES: This does not function.... #4 never engaged.

So... to try to test the PTO control lever (in #4 above), I tested the transmission in neutral, and in 1-5.... grinding both ways.

I was hoping I was messing up the sequence.

ccbamatx

...OK.. a little more flavor if you guys have time... so, seems that I can't get the PTO engaged if the truck is running. If I kill the truck... I can engage the PTO, and then start the truck... and the PTO shaft spins like a little top....

What do you think my problem is if I can't get the PTO engaged while the truck is running... but it will pull down and engage if it is not?

sandcobra164

You will also need the transfer case in gear for this so when you put transmission in gear the trans stops spinning and you can engage pto.
Have you tried to engage as Smitty pointed out? In your first post, you indicated that your transfer case is in neutral. The transmissions internals need to be stopped to engage the pto which is why you were able to engage it with the truck shut off.

ccbamatx

I did.

I have tried these combos:

Transmission selector (gear) lever is Neutral AND transmission power takeoff control lever disengaged (forward) - Engage PTO: Grinding
Transmission selector (gear) lever is Neutral AND transmission power takeoff control lever engaged (back) - Engage PTO: Grinding
Transmission selector (gear) lever is 1-5 AND transmission power takeoff control lever disengaged (forward) - Engage PTO: Grinding
Transmission selector (gear) lever is 1-5 AND transmission power takeoff control lever engaged (back) - Engage PTO: Grinding

sandcobra164

Sir,
I am inquiring to the position of your transfer case shifter next to your parking brake lever. In your first post you indicated that the transfer case is in neutral which would be slightly raised off of the floor. In this condition, there is nothing to stop the internals from the transmission from rotating when placed in gear. It will have no resistance from the neutral transfer case and the internals will be spinning which is likely causing the problem you are experiencing.

ccbamatx

OK, sandcobra... so, to engage the PTO, you are suggesting that the The transfer case shift lever should be engaged (either in high or low)??

I am going to go check that right now.. Yes... it has been in neutral which is the appropriate position to engage the rear.

ccbamatx

You guys take the prize. Exactly correct. I had the transfer case in neutral... which is where it needs to be to run the rear. Tcase needs to be in low or high.

Thanks very much.

Now that this is solved, I have id'd some more problems.... like, with tcase in high, I needed the gear selector in 1-5 to engage the PTO... which is not the way I read the TM.

Oh well.... Thanks very much, again.

Csm Davis

You guys take the prize. Exactly correct. I had the transfer case in neutral... which is where it needs to be to run the rear. Tcase needs to be in low or high.

Thanks very much.

Now that this is solved, I have id'd some more problems.... like, with tcase in high, I needed the gear selector in 1-5 to engage the PTO... which is not the way I read the TM.

Oh well.... Thanks very much, again.
Have you ever operated a crane or large tow truck ever? I suspect the answer is no, I would really recommend that you find someone who has experience with a M939 wrecker to show you the ropes, this vehicle more so than any other 5 ton can kill or maim you or someone else. I have thousands of hours on these wreckers and still learning. You can't go to the military vehicle recovery but there are some for the civilian tow trucks and even if you ask around the big truck wrecker operators might help you some. I am not trying to be rude or mean but this is not a truck to try and learn to operate from the manual or from the Internet, I have had civilian tow truck owners come work with me for a week or two to learn how to operate a military wrecker properly, please find someone who can help you not get hurt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks