• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frozen air tanks purge valves

Lenny

I retrofitted the air tanks on my truck last year with the military kit that comes with two brass cable operated air valves and two cables. Through last Summer and Fall they worked flawlessly, eliminating my having to crawl under the truck to do this. This past winter however I took the truck out on a very cold below freezing day and I found that both valves seemed to be frozen. I could not dump the tanks. I imagine that there must have been water in the tanks that apparently froze the valves. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so how do you remedy it? Thanks, Lenny

pitpawten

I've had it happen on a compressor in an unheated barn. Assuming the valve is all metal, hitting the valve with torch briefly freed up mine.

Not sure on deuce specific solutions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

rtadams89

If you heat the valve you will likely get it unstuck, but then you're not likely to get much out as all the water is frozen in the rest of the tank. You are better off leaving the valve open and pointing a space heater or similar at the tanks to get them (and all the air/water in them) above freezing.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use an alcohol sniffer - they work, and they're simple. Some will accumulate in the air tanks & keep them liquid, so you can drain them. I also always keep a squeeze bottle in the tool box with it. Sometimes you have to take a line loose, and put a shot of alcohol in it. You can do that with the compressor out-put line.

Lenny

A space heater really isn't an option. I have no garage and the truck sits outside, and this is New Hampshire. I'd have to position that heater really close to effect any change and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. We had 13 degrees F last night and we're just coming into April.

I agree that heating the valves perhaps with a heat gun may free them up, but as rtadams89 mentioned there would still be all that ice inside that would probably stay frozen. I have noticed that if I happen to forget to bleed the tanks the pressure will eventually dissipate. I guess I'll have wait for a warm day and try to dump them then.

By the way I Googled "alcohol sniffer" and everything that came back seems to relate to measuring or detecting alcohol as in a police stop, rather than eliminating it. Could someone please elaborate on exactly what an alcohol sniffer is and how it would relate to this problem? Thanks. Lenny

searls84

I wouldn't worry about it. Wait for a warm day and drain them then.

When I had a truck that was equipped with those style drain valves I came up with a way to hold the cables in the open position whenever the truck wasn't being used. Never had a problem with them freezing up and it gives the tanks a chance to fully dry.

pitpawten

You could potentially install some larger diameter ball valves in addition to the bleeder valves.

If the water gets slushy in the tank, the larger valve might allow it through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Lenny

I think that I like the idea of trying to keep the valves open during periods of non use. The valve openings point down so hopefully this would lead to a natural draining of them and keep them free of ice. I could weight the cables to keep tension on them and keep them open. I would just worry though if the constant pressure and subsequent compression on the rubber valve seals could cause them to distort and ultimately leak. Lenny

Jericho

I know Lenny , I line in northern NH Alcohol snifter. Alcohol evaporator. Uses isopropyl alcohol to " dry " the moisture out in your tanks As and 1 s had them I have your same problems summer is coming by June. Cheer up it gets better

rustystud

There is no need to use alcohol in your air system. All shops stopped using it in the 1990's due to the damage the alcohol did to the rubber seals. Now all trucks and busses use "automatic drains" . When the weight of water reaches a predetermined amount the valve opens expelling all the water. These drain valves are reasonably priced and easy to get.

Lenny

Or as suggested I could just wait for a warm day. We actually do have those occasionally even in the Winter. Thanks guys for all your input. Best regards, Lenny