• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FRUSTRATION! (air in fuel line)

deepseeman

ok gentlemen,
I have read several threads and have failed at stopping the air bubbles that i see in my clear hose atop my FIP. I have done the following repairs; replaced fuel filter base with NOS unit (sensors too), replaced FIP, inspected all hard and soft lines. I dont know what else to do. I mostly have champagne bubbles and every now and again a good burp. please advise and i greatly appreciated all input.

PETE BALLARD

You may have several issues going on at once, in the past i have found it helpful to reverse things and use air over fuel pressure (low pressure)to find small leaks in the lines ( so pressurize the fuel line from the tank)and you might need to check piping in the tank - you might have to drop the fuel tank and pull the fuel pick line/sender assembly for inspection - not sure on your unit but princible is the same. It is far easier to see fuel leaking than to see where your system is sucking air - on the side between the f/p and the tank. Take your time and you will fine the problem.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming the FIP is the fuel injector pump?

Another area that has issues is the "S" shaped fuel line at the lift pump.

If the right motor mount is bad, the engine will drop slightly and allow the fuel line to rub on the cross member. Since this fuel isn't under preasure you won't see a leak, but it will suck air.

This hose is no longer available so you have to subsitute something in its place. Sometime you will have luck with a regular fuel hose and make sweeping bends. Sometime the hose will kink. Some guys report that they have bent the metal line and the attached the hose.

Of course YMMV

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any driveability issues? The clear line you speak of is the return line I'm assuming? My air leak on my bambalance was somewhere at the top of the tank. Still have to isolate it but for now its drawing off the aux pickup. I don't know if the M1009 has the aux pickup or where it's at

1trucker

Could be a cracked pick up tube. Fill the tank and if it is that the problem should go away till fuel level is down again.

deepseeman

ok. no driving issues at this time. I am going to fill tank tomorrow and see what that does. if needed I will then conduct the low pressure air test. I will keep you gentlemen posted. thank you

deepseeman

Sorry for the late reply gentlemen. I am in the midst of a divorce and havent had much time tinker on the truck. Atleast she doesnt want it, she wants everything else. So the truck has been running fine as long as i start her everyday. That was until yesterday. I filled her up as stated and drove her around. Finally had some down time to work on her. Went to start her this morning and she was being difficult. Finally got her started and popped the hood. She was blowing bubbles like a babby. Full tank. I am going to try the air test this weekend seeing that there are no more honey dos.