• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft. Hood, TX to Denver, CO Recovery

KaiserM109

I was just granted the dubious honor of being the highest bidder on a " Vehicle drained " M923A2 at Ft Hood, TX. Although I have driven a deuce 500 Mi. and an M923A1 1800 mi. on recoveries, I am inclined to see what it would cost to have this one hauled.

Some questions in case I want to tempt fate again:
  1. What fluids do they drain: Engine, transmission, differentials, windshield washer, coolant, etc.?
  2. Are the plugs replaced or are they gone along with the fluids?
  3. What about batteries?
  4. The truck is at Ft. Hood, TX; If I go there, will they let me work on the truck in their yard?

Can anyone suggest the name of a hauler to call?

Arlyn (Occupant of the dog house on the back poarch)

PS It's ****ed cold in Colorado right now and I need help getting out of the dog house.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me tackle a few questions:

1. Could be anything, everything, or nothing from Ft Hood. There's no telling short of inspecting in person.
  2. Could be missing, replaced, or lines/pans punctured. Search for the thread on drained CUCV's at Ft. Hood. (scary stuff..)
  3. Batteries are usually dead or missing, bring two fresh batteries at minimum per truck! (4 if really cold)
  4. Paul runs the GL yards at Ft. Hood and is a stern but fair guy. His priority is scrap contracts on base not surplussing equipment so he may not be lenient on field repairs due to time. Depending on where the trucks are located you may not be able to work on them anyway but I believe these trucks are located at "LZ Phantom" a DRMO field site. I've recovered a number of items there but all were able to be pulled off the site onto a paved area to be worked on before hitting the road. There is no assistance out there, Paul has no equipment at this site.

Now that I've scared you.. you're probably in good shape. Bring a full assortment of belts and ALL fluids not just to get her filled but to have them on hand for the ride home. Expect dead dead batteries, no fuel, but ultimately a worthy vehicle. Let us know how it goes and congrats on the truck..I was fighting for her too. :naner:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuzzy has it right on all accounts. Ft Hood is not a fun place to extract broken trucks from. And boy can the wind blow cold there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks