• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft. Lewis M35A2 Recovery (#2)

cleb

Well, I got my first deuce from Lewis a couple months ago, with the help of MilitaryRestorations (Thread: http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=21080). I decided I wanted to get a winch, so instead of buying a winch and trying to find all the pieces, I thought why not buy a winch truck. My EUC went thru a little fast, won the auction on 6/5, and was approved the 25th of June. Had my Paid invoice by the 27th, and set the recovery for Monday the 30th of June. My brother and I left on 06/29 (Sunday) from home (Lopez Island), and headed to Olympia to spend the night at summit lake. After an uneventful drive, we arrived at summit lake around 2000. We got up at 0615, and were at the visitors center by 0725. Got our pass, and proceeded a couple exits north to the entrance closer to the DRMO/GL lot. So a little background, on my first recovery with Todd (MilitaryRestoration) we went in through the same gate, same lane. We were both in the left lane, and he was in front of me. One guard checked his vehicle, and the other saw my pass and waved me on. I actually had to wait a sec for the guard to finish with Todd before we could head to the DRMO lot. Anyways, we were in the left lane this time. Guard looks at our pass, and says we are in the wrong lane, because on the pass it states "Visitors use right lane at all times". Well, Since used the left last time, didn't think it would be a problem. They had us pull over to a search area, open the trunk, hood, all doors, glovebox, and exit the vehicle. They spent 5 minutes looking over everything. We got the talk about how "Terrorist so fixed on his mission he won't pay attention to directions". They finish the search and let us proceed. A little nerve racking, and a slight waste of time, but at least we know to use the right lane next time :/. Get to the lot, obtain or badges, and go looking for the truck. We find it, and "Brad" comes over in a forklift. Says we need to check in with the office and sign paperwork, nd then come back. We head to the office, and are informed there are 4 people in front of us in line waiting for loadouts. Darn. I tell the guy in the office that Brad said we could get signed off and get our truck ready. They said that was good enough, and we drove back to the truck. I started checking over fluids, while my brother removed the torn canvas top. I walked over to where "wiggall" was prepping thier truck. I answered some questions, and got them headed in the right direction, and started in on my truck. The hard top was in a little rough shape, and a couple little rust spots under the doors, but it has a new door on drivers side, new front windows, updated plastic battery box with newer looking U6TL's. After checking the basics, fired her up. She didn't want to idle above 400, so I held the accelerator down for a little bit until she idle'd at 700 on her own (This was later fixed by turning up the fuel 3 flats). She ran fine after about 30 seconds of keeping a little throttle on her. Fluids were good, all the gear oil had just been replaced. We noticed the brakes started working pretty far down, about 2-3" off the deck. We bled them all around, but that didn't help. MC and Airpack looked new, so fingured it must be an adjustment issue. They worked plenty good, just a little far down (They work about 1-2" down after being adjusted correctly, amazing what that will do). After doing a final check, we left Ft Lewis at 1000. About then I realized I was in for a 4 hr trip with a "C" trubo truck, and no earplugs. Luckly I had my Ipod, and good earbud's that sealed, so off we went for I-5. After about 3 minutes on I-5, smoke started filling the cab. It smelled like burnt oil. I was a bit worried at first, but it cleared after a minute, just residue buring off. We got stuck in seattle traffic, which was a pain. Everyone thought it was a fun game to change lanes quickly in front of me and slam on the brakes. It would have been their loss ;). We made it to Mt. Vernon, where we did a little city driving, running errands. We made it to the ferry at 1345, hoping to catch the 1430 boat. $100 later and we were in line. We got overloaded, and told we wouldn't be on the 1710 boat, because it only takes 10 cars. The next one we would be on was 1850. Ouch. We ended up catching the 1710, which was good. Truck ran great on the freeway, seemed a little low on power, but once I did the filters and turned the fuel up a bit it was comparable to my other M35A2 ("D" turbo). The winch is now on my first M35, and I'm fixing up the "C" truck to sell. If anyone knows someone who wants a solid deuce in Northwest Wa for 3k, I have one! Could use paint, but all the rust is getting repaired with new metal and paint. It was another fun trip, although I probably won't be doing another anytime soon :(. We were able to get the newest addition all cleaned up and serviced before the 4th of July parade, where both trucks made an appearance. A local Young Life group wanted to use them, and we ended up having a lot of fun! I posted pictures here, more are here: http://defcon-3.net/gallery/m35a2_2_top and parade pictures: http://defcon-3.net/gallery/4th08

Attachments

cleb

The trip was about 140 miles total, 110 on the freeway (I5), and 30 on various other roads, and a ferry.

The "Evil Bunny" will be staying. I don't have any plans to repaint the truck before I sell it. Just taking care of rust spots.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks