• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft. Pickett, VA

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pictures, don't even bother asking or complaining! I was by myself and had plenty to do just getting there and back.

I went to Ft. Pickett, VA last week to pick up my MKT-85, using the deuce I got at Ft. Jackson. 698 miles round trip according to my log book, using about 75 gallons of diesel and one gallon of Rotella (rear main seal is going). Real nice bunch of people there, so I'm simply going to give some tips on driving directions to help make your trip a tad easier.

I came in from the south, on I-85 getting off at exit 27, which is Hwy 46. if you are coming up I-95 get off in Emporia and go west on Hwy 58 to Lawrenceville (taking Bus 58 into town) and picking up Hwy 46 west. It's about 19 miles to Blackstone from I-85, where you will come to a "T" intersection with Hwy 40, take a right, go about a mile and a half and take another right as Hwy 40 turns right to actually get to Ft. Pickett. The main gate is about two miles out of town, with another right turn. This is the gate for all trucks.

Coming from the north, again on I-85 but this time take exit 42, Hwy 40, go west about 18 miles, and turn left into the main entrance.

You will need to report in to Building 142 - the USPFO, which is the first building on the left on 7th St. Seventh Street is the first street on the left after entering the post and you will need to go into the building on the end, and go into the office on the left to do the paperwork. Then it's off to the yard. Back out to the main road, turn left, go three blocks and turn left at 10th St. Then left into the yard.

Since driving the deuce is not as fast as some other forms of transportation, I elected to spend the night in Blackstone and do an early morning pickup. The main place to stay is the Wedgewood Motor Inn (434-292-7288), which was nice for the night and reasonable in price. It's best to call ahead, and there could be a problem if you have a trailer or other big rig. I did manage to turn the deuce around in their parking lot, if you consider a nine point turn as normal.

Return trip to home (Lexington, SC) was uneventful, except for trying to move the deuce after parking the MKT-85 and not unhooking one of the safety chains. Grass will grow back eventually - the eight holes have been filled in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks