• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Additives for Winter

SLR

I've got a 68 Kaiser and have never used it in the winter. With winter knocking on our door step, should you do anything to the diesel fuel to keep it from gelling? I am told that the suppliers switch out to a winter blend. If your tank is already full of a non-winter blend, then do you use any type of additive? If your tank is partially full of a summer blend, then you fill it up with a winter blend, do you use an additive and if so is there anything special that needs to be taken into consideration so you do not create some witches brew or make things too rich? If using an additive then which one is best?

Corvette1974

Power Service has a diesel addtitive for winter conditions. PS is just good stuff in general. But unless it is REALLY cold where you are you should be fine even with non winter diesel.

Will

seano11

Up here in canada we have to pump out the gel every morning bring it inside and heat it up so that it's a liquid again. Some of the really fancy trucks have in tank heaters to keep the fuel from gelling

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mcmullag, has it going on.

The Diesel Kleen is amazing stuff and especially good for higher elevations....!:driver:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since the deuce is multi-fuel you can put a few gallons of gasoline (make sure you get pure gas...no ethenol mix) in there and it won't gel up unless you are waaaaaay below zero.

I would take the truck to a gas station and put some in the tank.....drive around for a while to get it mixed up...(fuel coming back through the return line will do this) and then top it off again.

steelandcanvas

I'm with McMullag on this one. We both use a fuel additive, year round. Diesel doesn't have the lubricity it used to have since they removed most of the sulpher from it. In order to keep your IP from going to the rebuilder, I strongly recommend an additive. Just for fun, McMullag's Deuce and mine are "brothers", our serial numbers are the same except for the last digit.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks