• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel aditive in your tank

K9Vic

Great info here, I have like 10gallons of used motor oil so I will be filtering that and adding to my fuel. I always used Diesel Kleen added to my fuel, but used oil is cheaper :mrgreen:

BIG_RED

I add 1 quart 2 stroke oil to every tank. New diesel doesn't have enough lubricants for older Injector Pumps. I figure that if 2 stroke oil at 50:1 mix can lube the crankcase on my chainsaw enough to keep it working, 100:1 should save my injector pump. I wouldn't burn fuel without a lubricating additive in an old diesel. BioDiesel is supposed to be a good lubricant. Adding only sulfur isn't bringing the fuel back to what it was. The process they use to remove the sulfur takes out other lubricating components too.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I'm not reading right, I don't know. But I bought some of the Lucas diesel stuff because I'm doing a first start here on my M1008, sometime this week I hope. All I'm putting in the tank is 2 gals new/clean diesel because I just need to move truck for now, and later on I'll pull tank and clean fuel system proper-like, et. al.,.

Meanwhile, the directions on the Lucas bottle says 3-OZ per 10 gals--- that's equivalent to like a 1:426 ratio! Is that bull-pucky or what?

How 'bout guys posting their oil/diesel mixture ratios and the effects on vehicle starting, idling, whatever--- and maybe time of year and why, or any other deciding factors?

Also, I wonder if there are any manufacturers' recommendations?

:beer:

jj

My summer mix:
16oz WallyWorld 2-stroke oil (the TCW-3)
8oz of "gunk brand" sulfur substitute
in 25 gals of #2 diesel.

In winter i add 8oz of the white Power Service cetane boost to the above stuff. Worked great in my old Rabbit with 400,000 miles plus, works great in my 6.5 with the dreaded electronic injector pump and 266,000 miles, and works great in my M-1009 with 102,000 indicated miles. It really does make them idle quieter. I've never noticed a power difference in the seat o' pants meter. All three vehicles have a lot of evidence that they all have, or had the original injector pumps.

Wolf.Dose

All of you ae a little right - and a little wrong.
The use of 2-stroke oil is a waste of money!
The cheapest engine oil 15W40 is good enough to lubricate the injection system in a mixture of 100:1. Engine oil (not the syntetic stuff) has a higher cetan number than Diesel fuel, so it will burn without any problems.
Used engine oil is a problem, especially if from a Diesel engine.The black parts (Russ in German) will ruin your injection system. The oil will not help to prevent that. If you filter it, the filter must be better than 6 mycron.
Sulfor will not help for anything, for it must be a part of the fuel and must be in the molekular chains incorporated. Just to add some sulfor is as useless as to inject fuel into the exhaust tail pipe.
The othe additives are for cleaning o.k., it you use some contaminated fuel. Else they only cost money. There is a water seperator in the fuel system, so water in fuel should not become a problem. Just drain with the running engine on regular basis.
And one more thing, do not store modern Diesel fuel longer than one year, it will disintigrate and not behave like Diesel any more. (For Gas the time is shorter, or you get brown fuel, means rust in the steel tank, except you got it covered with a ceramic layer inside.)
What else you can use? I know about people who drive since years with oil from electric transformer. They get it cheep, just pic it up. However, this is somewhat illegal, to burn the PCB contaminated stuff.
Biodiesel is also a possibilyty. The injection pump seals at least do not suffer from that, as my tests over 8 years show.
Wolf

BIG_RED

I've been thinking about trading my two stroke oil for just cheap fresh engine oil. I think I will now, thanks for the input. I put a spin on filter that filters down to 5 microns on my truck. I imagine anyone with something similar could run old motor oil, so long as they did some filtering to get rid of metal shards and big stuff. Used motor oil would also plug up the filter faster than clean diesel. I also bet that old oil from a gasser would be better than diesel oil, as it would/should have less carbon and soot in it. The IP's on 6.2's are not well known for lasting long.. so depending on how cheap you get used oil, if it gets you $800 worth of miles before it kills your IP, you're still saving money using it. You'll just need a new IP every so often. Just my $0.02

Brad M

I run Power Service Diesel Kleen or Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement in every tank.

However, this summer since I got my M1008 in July my tanks have been at least 50% WVO made from Soy oil used to fry chicken. Filter it down for 6+ hours to less than 1 micron in a centrifuge and have only had one problem with it. That was when I tried to run over 90% oil. The problem was it would run all day long but was a PITA to start. Once blended down to less than 60% WVO it started fine. This winter I will be blending down between 40% and 20% WVO to ease the stress in the cold. Any further North and I would be straight Diesel for the winter.

I swear by the Power Service in every tank and keep a bottle of Power Service 911 behind the seat just in case. With or without WVO it is a smart investment for your vehicle.

xenocath

searching.............
i use diesel kleen silver bottle and 1 quart omc tcw3 2 stroke oil every fill up. if i use the oil/additive truck runs quieter imho quieter means less mechanical friction so i figure thats better for truck. i have also used tranny fluid in the truck did not notice much diffrence in how it ran.

ohfisherman

i use diesel 911 every second tankful. as an added bonus i go to lowes and buy the additive that you put into kerosene heaters to scent the room. sometime i smell like a pinecone, sometimes sugar cookies. it all depends on my mood. (and yes i am serious)

BIG_RED

I think 2-stroke is better than engine oil for adding lubricity in fuel. It certainly is better than used oil. Check out the attached fuel additive study.
According to this, soybean biodiesel @ 50:1 mix worked best. Any of you guys think running clean veggie oil in small quantities would be better than 2-stroke or used motor oil?

Note that CLEAN motor oil wasn't tested in this study. I imagine clean engine oil would be as good as 2-stroke oil.

NICK_M1009

Well, I've been using different types of oil (10-30 / 5-30 / 2 cycle) with my fuel since I read this. Don't notice a increase in MPG, or that it runs quieter but hopefully it makes things last a little longer.

D T

I have a m-1008,I run Redline 85+,it's not free but for sure less knock,less smoke and more power,improved mileage,been running it almost ten years with great results

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, I'm reading that study too and wondering WHAT that bio-diesel, costs?

Anybody have bio-diesel in their neighborhood?

Last edited: