• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel?? coming out of IP Advance Unit

Gravel

So I am in the process of switching complete IP's from one LDT to another. The one that is a runner, did not run well but it ran, while the other had a stop lever that would not free up.

I pulled the runner off of the motor and as I was pulling it out, it dumped a cup or two of what seemed like a very thinned out mixture of oily fuel? Pulled the dipstick and the crankcase oil was definitely a thicker consistency than what came out of the gear side of this advance unit. Is this normal or do I have a unit that is swapping fluids?

Thanks guys!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have a leaking booster pump.

Since you have the whole IP off, I would rig up a way to pressure test it with fuel in the lines, to check for leakage.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have samples analyzed and compare the results, should be the same in the IP as in the crankcase...the oil passes right through and should not accumulate.

Gravel

Doghead, that is essentially what I feared. I will see if I can pressure test it.

Bjorn, I have zero doubt that what came out of the advance unit is not the same as what is in the crankcase. Looking closer at what is in the tank, and what came out of the lines, has me convinced that it is swapping fluids. The fluid in the injector lines was the same black solvent consistency as what came out of the front of the advance unit.

Think its time to frankenstein a couple of IP's.. I have 3 here, should be able to get one working one out of the three of them.

Its either that or throw in the LDS that is sitting here.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances are it is your FDC. I would start there. Then as I said you will have to recheck boost figures. I would go with at least 6 lb at low end and 11-12 top side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks