• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Cooler Install

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Aight so after a few months of reading and taking observations on my truck I decided to go ahead and install a small fuel cooler for my next trip I'm taking. I have noticed on my trips when I get stop to get fuel there is a lot of steam coming out of my tank. This is to be expected when the tank is less than half full I would assume. Diesel fuel cold has a higher BTU that if its hot. As it being denser causes the more power and mileage according to the things I have read.

The flow rate of the return line is pretty high on the NHC250s. I actually ran my truck out of fuel on purpose the other day just to check this. I ran my full passengers side tank as the suction line to the pump. I drained and cleaned my primary drivers side tank and left the return line hooked to it. I drove around the block a few times on it then let it idle in my driveway at 1500rpms for about 25 minutes. After 42 minutes total of my combined idle/drive the passengers side tank was empty and the truck died and the primary tank was nearly full. that's about 75/80gph on the lift pump.

Granted the tank is huge so the return fuel may be hot but the circulation of so much fuel should keep it pretty cool. I did notice though that my return line after running at 2000rpms for about 200 miles was 157 degrees off the T into the IP and to the tank. Pretty hot. The line was still 130 at the tank return tube. The tank may be steel but its not transferring that much heat off the fuel thru that steel tank even at cold temps outside. So the fuel leaving the tank going to the IP isn't going to be as cool one would think.

I installed this cooler on the suction side of the system. Just a standard transmission cooler. Got it at Napa for $60 Its 11.75" x 11.75" x 3/4". Rated for 150psi. Not very big but should serve its purpose. I mounted it right up under the back side of the cab so it has a good bit of open air I believe in its space. Any air across it is going to make it a lot cooler than it is without it.

So this is just a test run. I may even install a small fan onto it if I don't like its temp results when I do a few checks.

Some folks may not think this is a worth while modification. Well in retrospect I look at it this way. Over a 2000 miles trip. If it gets me .25 more mpg than what I am getting. It saves me about 16/18 gallons of fuel over that distance so about $45. It would pay for itself fairly quick I believe. I am skeptical but I see this being a big advantage with nighttime runs and especially in the summer months.

This is open for debate. I know the newer diesel engines all have these on them most are coolant cooled like on my powerstroke. Or mounted in the grill. I didn't see a benefit from running it to the front of the truck as it may strain the lift pump having to go so far and then back to the pump. That area of the cab is getting plenty of air flow IMO. This was a quick mod and only took about 15minutes.

I will post my results/thoughts after testing.

Attachments

kc5mzd

You should consider a bypass for use in cold weather. When it gets to cold diesel fuel gets ice crystals that will clog your fuel filters and leave you stranded.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You should consider a bypass for use in cold weather. When it gets to cold diesel fuel gets ice crystals that will clog your fuel filters and leave you stranded.
I would go with # 1 over the 50/50 if I plan on venturing up into the Midwest. Plus an additive gets put in mildly to take care of any water. Once its below 20 degrees though my truck does not shut off overnight or for stops. It doesn't shut off even on normal days if I am on a run until its day is over. She ran for 16.5 hours straight this past weekend.
I lived in Montana for years so I know about the -60 degrees on diesels. At one point on my 7.3 IDI I used the lil small pad heaters and wired them to the batteries to heat the filters before firing it off.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well did the little trip to NC wasn't too bad. The fuel cooler does work as you can notice a difference. With the tank below half I am getting 95 to 110 fuel temps from the tank to the cooler and after the cooler it is 74 or so with a 40 degree ambient temp. so it is dropping it. I ran with my trailer for a bit then I dropped it off. Not much mileage to calculate as it was mixed towing and empty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks