• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel cutoff issue

skeeyet69

Morning gentleman,
after thoroughly searching TM's as well as the previous posts I've come to a brick wall. And I apologize in advance if I missed something during my previous searches, I don't like to be the guy asking redundant questions.
This is also my first post as well
anyways to the problem at hand. I've got a fuel injection pump issue. The main problem I've noticed is that my fuel cutoff shaft was stuck. After removing the cover and freeing the shaft, I noticed that fuel was leaking from where I removed the cover. Obviously this isn't normal. So I'm looking for what could cause this.
Luckily I've got a new injection pump. Just would like to see the cause for future knowledge before installing a new pump.
Again apologize if I'm asking a repeat, but any help would be so much appreciated! Btw I love this site!!
Lt. S Smith

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Got any pics? That cover should have a gasket, maybe you tore it. Also, in freeing the shut-off shaft, you might have torn the O-ring the shaft goes through.

skeeyet69

Sir thank you so much for responding so quickly. I'll go out to the truck right now and snap some pictures. Y'all are great. And I also agree with what you thought. Standby for incoming pics
Lt. S Smith

welldigger

Probably the fuel control rod o-ring is bad. This o-ring went bad on my truck, which contaminated my engine oil. Its actually a simple fix. I have assembled a kit that has this o-ring plus the 2 large ones that seal the HH. I also include a piece of gasket material to cut a new gasket for the shut off cover. If you just need the fuel control rod o-ring its a -013. Buna-n (nitrile) will work but I prefer Viton o-rings in this application.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
33% chance that oring is the issue.

The HH has 2 o rings as well.

The HH shaft could also be leaking.

You can turn on your in-tank pump with the cover off, and try to identify where the fuel is coming from.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Probably the fuel control rod o-ring is bad. This o-ring went bad on my truck, which contaminated my engine oil. Its actually a simple fix. I have assembled a kit that has this o-ring plus the 2 large ones that seal the HH. I also include a piece of gasket material to cut a new gasket for the shut off cover. If you just need the fuel control rod o-ring its a -013. Buna-n (nitrile) will work but I prefer Viton o-rings in this application.

What does your kit cost and does it point you to the correct TM for replacement of these o-rings?

skeeyet69

And I also wanted to just put the replacement pump on it just for the sake of having a new one. What kind of time frame should I look at putting the new one on?

welldigger

The fuel is coming from where the shafts end. What do I need to remove to get to it?
Was your truck running before the fuel shut off stuck? As far as removing the rod its pretty simple. When you remove the shut off cover you will see the arm attached to the fuel control rod. There should be a bridge piece with 2 screws and safety wire going through the screws. On the bottom of the arm there is a tiny Jesus clip that attaches that arm to a rod that goes inward and to the back of the pump. To remove the rod simply pull the Jesus clip, don't lose it, and then cut the safety wire and remove the 2 screws. Very carefully pull the control rod strait out. The reason I say carefully is there is a little "tit" on the very end of the rod that can slide out and fall into the pump. Make sure this tiny piece is still there. The o ring will be around the rod.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Was your truck running before the fuel shut off stuck? As far as removing the rod its pretty simple. When you remove the shut off cover you will see the arm attached to the fuel control rod. There should be a bridge piece with 2 screws and safety wire going through the screws. On the bottom of the arm there is a tiny Jesus clip that attaches that arm to a rod that goes inward and to the back of the pump. To remove the rod simply pull the Jesus clip, don't lose it, and then cut the safety wire and remove the 2 screws. Very carefully pull the control rod strait out. The reason I say carefully is there is a little "tit" on the very end of the rod that can slide out and fall into the pump. Make sure this tiny piece is still there. The o ring will be around the rod.
Pics

Attachments

Ford Mechanic

Thanks that explains alot! Is the HH o-ring leak visable with that cover off before removing the rod? How does the tit come off so not to drop it?

welldigger

Thanks for posting those pics gimp. As far as keeping the "tit" in place I can't really think of a good way. I say this because nothing holds it in place. It just slides in. As long as your gentle and pull the control rod out as strait as possible you should be fine. I mentioned it because it needs to be there and it can fall out. Just be sure its there at all times. Its tiny and very easy to lose.

To check for leaks just pull the shut-off cover off and turn on the in tank pump. If you have a leak then fuel will be dripping from somewhere inside the cavity. There should be no drips if all is well. Its also not always easy to tell which of the 3 o-rings is leaking. The fuel control rod is an easy one to try since its right there and easy to remove. If either of the HH rings are leaking then you will need to pull the head.

One more thing, a small mirror is handy for checking leaks or doing repair work on this.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks