• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel delivery

bcrobbins

This is one I haven't found on here yet. The truck will start and run when sitting still, just a faint surge every once in a while. I can even push the throttle for extended periods, no problem. But as soon as I take it for a drive, it starts surging and stalling. After it stalls it takes a while cranking to get it back started. It only seems to happen when the truck is moving. When it began, it was happening when I make a turn, and it still is, but now it will just stall when going straight. I haven't had it above 30 yet, so I don't know how it will act. But does anyone on here have any idea why it only happens when the truck is moving? The filter and pump are brand new. I've checked the fuel lines at the filter and the back of the IP and they are all tight.

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine did the same think recently until I changed out the lift pump, not sure which pump you changed.

Barrman

There is a fuel strainer "sock" in the fuel tank. That could very well be gummed up and not allowing more than the fuel needed for a no load idle. Dropping the tank and pulling the fuel pick up is probably a good idea. The straps holding the tank up will probably break when you go to unbolt them. Might want to order ahead of time.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the same problem as this thread ?
Multiple threads on the same problem just create more problems , it is best to keep all the information in 1 thread .
[h=3]I'm going CRAZY[/h]

bcrobbins

Sorry porkysplace. The new thread last night was done in exasperation.
So im gonna drop the tank I suppose. Is it a pain to do? And on the sock, is it something I can clean and reuse, or should I pick one up when I get the new straps?

cucvrus

Eliminate or replace the sock. The decision is yours. I replace it. I buy them at Autozone for $30. + or -. Good luck. Use some heat on the strap nuts and take your time. You can save them if you have to. In a bind you can use perforated pipe strapping just double it up. Not sure how far out in the bush you are. I also use old seat belts in lieu of the tar paper on the straps.

richingalveston

definitely check your lift pump before dropping the tank. even a new lift pump can go at any time. everyone wants to drop the tank first. you can put a hand vac pump in place of the lift pump to test the lines and sock in the tank.

I find it best to start at the injector and work your way back to the tank unit you find the problem. dropping the tank is not easy.

Barrman

Good point Rich. I have gone to the trouble of only using Delco lift pumps when I replace one. I forget that many, many people have been burned by the cheap pumps sitting in auto parts stores that last about 3 hours and die.

What kind of lift pump did you install?

richingalveston

yes I would only use the ac delco pumps. I would also install an electric back by the tank before dropping the tank unless I was sure the sock was bad.

If you fill it up all the way to where you can see it at the top the neck. you should be able to remove the fuel line where the rubber is (where most people put the electric fuel pump) and it should pour right out into a bucket with easy flow if your sock is ok.

The electric pumps are $30 to $60 (or a lot more If you get something fancy) I bought two from rock auto I believe each was $28. I keep one in the glove box.
you need some wire to wire it in but you get piece of mind on the fuel pump and can pull a hose turn the ignition on and see flow without turning the starter over.

you can leave the mechanical in place but I would remove it so that the fuel lines do not have to travel to the front of the motor and back to the fuel filter. The block off plates are only a few bucks. I watch a lot of threads here and I believe %75 of people who drop the tank find no problems. It is a good thing to do so you really know your truck but I think it is the last thing to verify in the fuel system.

An IP failure can look just like a fuel delivery problem. If you have good flow of fuel into a bucket after the fuel filter when cranking, the sock is good but pump could still be bad. The fuel pump can move fuel but just not under pressure. Put your finger over the hose and make sure it sprays. You should feel the pressure. However it could be the IP they can do funny things when they start to go. My first 1009 ran for about a month up to 30mph before it quit. I changed fuel filter twice thinking that was the problem. It was a deer lease vehicle that never went over 40 mph any way (lease was only 80 acre) so I drove it until it would not start.