• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel economy dropping. help!

m1garand_man

I have an 86 m1009 w/ 96k on the odometer. I've had it since 87k and made the mistake of running diesel clean through it a few times to see if I could clean it out and get it to do 20mpg . its progressivly gone from getting 18.5mpg freeway to 15.3mpg. whats going on? I changed the mechanical fuel lift pump because it started leaking. I changed out all the rubber lines for the same reason. it has a new fuel and air filter and new injectors. what can I do to bring it back up? will I have to change the injection pump? the scribe mark on the pump is lined up with the mark on the timing housing so the timing should be good. I dont want to change it and not have any improvement. I changed the injectors because it was in the mileage where its reccomended to do and it didnt help with the economy. please help :lost:

Last edited:

4bogginchevys

I noticed your west of me a couple hundred miles, have you considered the possibility of winter blend diesel? I know it's not as cold near the coast as it is here, but snoqualmie pass is close enough to make it possible that diesels in your area need it. I got my 1008 just before winter and immediately noticed a change in mileage in just a couple weeks as it began to get colder.....if it runs....dont do the IP, just wait it out for a little while, if there's a real problem killing your mileage it will show itself soon enough. good luck :grd:

Edit: like B.B. said, colder also means longer high idle times, and if you wait on the idle to kick down before you go it'll soak up the fuel.

Last edited: