• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel economy improvement?

I've got my father's friend looking at my M1009 in his shop to figure out why it will not cold start; and why I used 3/16 of a tank of gas to travel 40 miles. All of which were highway and I never drove over 60MPH.

So far all he's discovered is that my starter was on it's way out. He has not looked into the fuel system. I'm hoping whatever he finds will contribute to my MPG loss.

My main question however, is: Have any of you done anything to your CUCV to get even just a noticeable difference in gas mileage? I have a K&N air filter but whoopty-doo! I have not noticed any difference since I installed it. Surely there has to be something to get better MPG aside from a Banks Turbo kit.

stranger75

Are you sure it really drank that much fuel over 40 miles? Gasser K5's get better mileage than that. Maybe your fuel gauge is off? I know mine is less than reliable, as are many others.

Have you been keeping record of your fuel consumption to track mileage?

I drive 65 mph or so on the interstate and consistently get around 22 mpg. Its closer to 16 or so in the city I think. I haven't made any real mods to speak of other than trying to keep up with PM and I keep my 31" tires at 40 psi.

MarcusOReallyus

If you are going by the fuel gauge, you have no idea what your fuel economy is. They are not accurate.

The only REAL way to know is to keep track of how much you put in at each fill up, and your miles traveled.

Also, make sure your speedo is reasonably accurate. With taller tires, yours isn't, unless you've changed your speedo system to compensate.

Cleptomaniac

I have a 4" lift and 35" tires. And your fuel mileage is not going to be any where close to 20!
The best I have gotten is 17hwy. I average 13-14 running around town.

southdave

If you are going by the fuel gauge, you have no idea what your fuel economy is. They are not accurate.

The only REAL way to know is to keep track of how much you put in at each fill up, and your miles traveled.

Also, make sure your speedo is reasonably accurate. With taller tires, yours isn't, unless you've changed your speedo system to compensate.
Also your odmeter will be off too..
I would look a the injector, gm reconmends swaping at 50k or sooner

skidder

I heard there is a company in Calf. that makes a stainless headers for the 6.2, they claim thatthere is 10-15 hp or so difference between the headers an the banks tubro kit, but the headers are about 800.00 the last i knew that was a couple of yrs. back ..... skidder

shaker

I know that my speedo is off and is like 3/10 of a mile off which is a lot when adding up mpgs, so what I do is for example I drove 260 miles then I times that by 0.3 which is 73 miles that the speedo did not calculate, which would bring me to 338 mile driven and divide that by 14 gallons of fuel which would bring a grand total of 24.1 mpgs. Now my questions is what color of speedo gear is in a stock M1009 I changed the cable and my speedo still reads different speeds. I have to use gps to find my speed, on the gps it will show 55 mph and the speedo will show 45 mph or now it is about 36 mph but then sometimes it is about 5 mph off. Any help with that would be great I am not sure how many teeth the stock gear has so I could buy the correct one.

shaker

In, addition to the reply above I was reading my sun visor while waiting on a long train the other day and it states that any temp above 20 degrees use #2 diesel fuel, Well few days later I was running really low on fuel and pulled into a store and put a half of tank of #2 fuel or off road diesel down here and have to admit the sun visor might have something here because the m1009 is running a lot better, more power, and seems to be getting better mileage. So come payday I will fill it up with #2 fuel and get a mpg reading to find out for sure but as of now it makes a difference on the get up and go, easier to crank, and runs smoother.

rsh4364

my fuel gauge doesnt work quite right so I watch miles closely,when i bought 1009 it had 31" tires and according to my gps mph was off about 6-7 mph. after i went to 33s speedo-odometer spot on per gps,and i average 15 mpg,driving 64 miles per day,mostly highway driving,truck has kn filter and 3" mufflers and tailpipes,runs great but would love to see 20-23 mpg...

Last edited: