• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Economy of Alternative fuels

joesco

My first attempt using filtered WMO is as follows.... 15 gallons of filtered waste motor oils, mix of conventional and synthetic, with 5 gallons of fresh 87 octane gas and 5 gallons of #2 diesel. The White LDT whistler engine in Brutus is much quieter, a bit more blue smoke at startup and it appears I am getting more miles out of this half tank experiment. My OEM primary fuel filter plugged three times and would not drain, so I installed the WIX spin-on filter setup from John Tennis on Saturday and drained it this morning before I took him for a ride without any problems. I am processing about 50 gallons of WMO now and the next time around I think I will just cut it with #2 diesel.

BTW, for those of you using John's fuel spin-on/off filter set-up, I am finding that the Wix replacement filters are priced from $21.00 at the local NAPA (Gold version) to $13.95 at a local independent parts store. Online as low as $8.95, but shipping kills that idea!

Rebelpride

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fuel Economy of Alte

I've ran my deuce on straight diesel and it did fine on flat road, but slowed down some as I went up inclines. Then I filled it up with kerosine and 1gal. of 30wt oil, and it ran like a scalded dog. There seemed to be more power and it didnt slow down as much climbing hills, and only ran about 20deg. hotter. Now have a tank of 10gal ATF the balance is gas, and the truck runs quieter but it is a turd, 4th gear takes forever to go thru. So as soon as K1 becomes available if it is cheaper than offraod I hope to stock up.

Rebelpride

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fuel Economy of Alte

I dont know, but there was no smoke when I had it on the floor going up hills, or idling during warm up.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fuel Economy of

Rolling_Eudaimonia said:
I think Bio-Diesel is the way to go.
I like biodiesel also, but it's not good at temps below about 35°F, just put a sample in the fridge and see what happens....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fuel Economy

Then, of course, there is the solution, the dual tank system, one heated.....implemented on both my deuce and 8x8.

86M10086.2L

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fuel Economy

The problem there being that you have to offset the cost of the materials for the dual tank set up and the heater before your really saving. But from what I understand that doesn't take very long. Especially if you drive a duece aliot.

Dodgeman1941

I was pretty surprised with Bio. I put half a tank of b20 in my blazer the other day and it quieted right down. I though it was my imagination, but when I filled it back up with regular diesel the klatter was back. I next would like to try a 10%-12% hyd oil mix in the blazer to see what that does to the klatter.

SasquatchSanta

cranetruck wrote:

Then, of course, there is the solution, the dual tank system, one heated.....implemented on both my deuce and 8x8.
I considered installing a dual tank system for an 80/20 WMO-Diesel blend. I guess if it works for bio-diesel it would also work for WMO-Diesel blend.

Assuming it would work on WMO, A dual tank system would have it's limitations for short runs. On a January morning it takes my multi a long time to warm up even with the water pump fan removed. I think it would take quite a while to warm up a second tank (system) containing WMO.

A qiick trip to town and back wouldn't qualify. (Just thinking out loud). Perhaps I should move further from town. :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm using the fuel burning coolant heater to heat the one tank containing biofuels, so the engine doesn't even have to run for heat. Close to testing it now, rainy weather delayed the work, but should be able to have it up and running next week. A few feet of fuel lines are also heated by resistance wire (NiCr) to keep fuel from solidifying in parts of the return and feed lines between the tank and the selector valves.

stampy

I have run centrifuged wvo with diesel 80/20 summer and 50/50 winter with no problems in my 300sd benz so I figure the Blazer and the 109 are next!:-D