• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter base question

bcrobbins

I have an 85 CUCV that was rough starting. After scouring this forum and eliminating options, I came to the conclusion that the o-ring on my fuel sensor switch was bad. I ordered a new sensor switch, but it was a different and newer version. The new switch either 1) didn't come with a new o-ring and/or retaining star cap, or 2) I lost both of them before I got a chance to do the replacement. The new one did however, have a retaining washer, but the retaining washer did not serve the purpose of sealing the front of the switch as the retaining star cap seems to. I tried to do the replacement, and it was an utter failure. I could not get the sensor switch to seat in its place with the retaining star and retaining washer both in use. What is the purpose of the retaining washer on the new "type III" fuel sensor switch?

Upon attempting to remove the sensor switch to have a look at what was going on, the retaining washer truly outdid itself, and I definitely ruined the new sensor switch. I am now worried that I fouled the filter base fooling around trying to pry the sensor switch out. Regardless, I'm planning to at least replace the filter base and am contemplating an attempt at a conversion to a spin on filter like I've seen suggested on this site.

Something that may influence the best course of action is the fact that the vehicle is equipped with an arctic heating system. Just the cab and engine heater, not the swingfire pump (that I'm aware of, I'm in Juneau so it doesn't get cold enough to necessitate a swingfire heater, if that's even what it called...I know nothing about it). My question is:

Does the fuel for the cab/engine heating system go through the same fuel filter as the engine fuel (I'm pretty sure this isn't the case)? If so, will that affect the possibility of installing a spin on filter?

If I replace the fuel filter base with a new Stanadyne 80, I have read on this forum that it's a new version and the fuel sensor switch is internal (I think I read that right) and I have also read that the fuel sensor switch was redundant and only in the military vehicles for some sort of extra precaution (some thing about ice and water or something). Would that "extra precaution" become not "extra" if I'm living in a cold climate (not super cold... Juneau, AK)? So to be sure, does the new style filter base positively have a fuel sensor switch internally? If not, will that be a problem if it gets real cold?

I am pretty sure that the arctic heater is a separate system from the engine fuel, but not positive. Please advise.

Thanks.

Gripy

My understanding is that switch is only diagnostic to see if the filter needs to be replaced. I just had this same leak yesterday (Pretty bad leak) I just pulled the sensor and plugged the hole with jb weld putty.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The fuel fired heaters are fed from the one fuel tank on the truck. I am not familiar with the stock filters, but if you decide to go with an aftermarket filter, I sell an FM100(Stanadyne) setup pretty cheap. Its in the classifieds or you can PM me for more info. I know at least 10 guys that have swapped over from stock and are very happy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel fired heaters are fed from the one fuel tank on the truck. I am not familiar with the stock filters, but if you decide to go with an aftermarket filter, I sell an FM100(Stanadyne) setup pretty cheap. Its in the classifieds or you can PM me for more info. I know at least 10 guys that have swapped over from stock and are very happy.
I'm one of the happy folks. Bought them for all of my trucks. I've always defended the model 80 on the CUCVs but after going to the FM100, I will never go back. Search FM100 and see some of the worthy installs.

Sp0okfish

Go ahead and convert to a spin on filter. I had problems with my stock filter, switched over and no problems. The spin on filter I use also is a water separator, which these trucks do not have they have a sensors but no actual separator.

Hammer

Do a spin on filter conversion. It is one of the first things I do to any new to me CUCV.
And the ones Gimpy is selling are top notch for a great price!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks