• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter change nightmare

CROM

Motor guys out here wanted minimum $200 for a rebuild! The worn gear drive only cost $35. I had them check to make sure it still worked (works fine!) bought the gear and rebuilt it my **** self! Not too much to a starter, it turns out. Now I just need throw 24V at it when I get to work to make sure everything is cool, install it, and get back to this fuel bleed problem.

CROM

Alright, starter installed and working....time to tackle the fuel issue. I'm going to hand pump fuel up through the filter and turn over the engine to seek if I can get fuel to flow first. If that doesn't work, I suppose I need to troubleshoot the lift pump and the fuel pump, right?

BIG_RED

Yup, you got it.

In my opinion - your lift pump sounds like it's boarderline toast - but they are such a PITA to replace that if you can get it to spray fuel out the top of the filter, I'd keep it. I would not recommend an electric pump as your only fuel pump, since in my experience they break at bad times (there is a reason I drive an almost fully mechanical vehicle). An electric pump in-line (before) your mechanical pump makes it wayy easier to prime your fuel filter. But like I said, I wouldn't rely solely on the electric pump. (your truck, your call)

Replacing a mechanical lift pump is a pain, but it's not the end of the world. I did one myself when I was 16. Granted, it did take me 2 days.. But I got it done. I'm sure you'll be able to do it in an afternoon.

Spin on filters are sexy. They make life so much easier.

Electric fuel pumps are nice when they work.

I would not convert to 12 volts unless you lived somewhere hot and were really bent on it. In my experience, the 24 volt system cranks over wayy better than the 12 volt starters. I live where it's cold - so I need this.

If you want to run 12 volt accessories - your truck will power 100 amps of 12 volt electrical junk right now. You do not need to convert anything to power a radio, extra lights, etc. (I KNOW because I have them).

The only reason to convert to 12 volt is that your electrical system gets a little simpler(but you already have TM's to make electrical work easier), you only need one alternator(only matters if you want A/C), and you can accept a jump-start from a civilian vehicle.

Good luck!

ryan77

If u can change one on a small block Chevy then u can do a lift pump on a 6.2 diesel the ip pump is,a little harder!!!![thumbzup]

CROM

OK. Pulled the fuel pump off only to find that it pumps and holds a vacuum. LOOOOONG story short...I replaced all gaskets, hand pumped fuel through the system (out of the filter) until only tiny bubbles were left and tried to start it. No dice. So, I figured; let's just start from square one and try to bleed via the tech manual....open the gas cap, cracked the filter housing vent, attached a small tube to the vent port and ran it up to a bottle under the windshield wiper, disconnected the injector pump pink wire and cranked. 10 seconds of cranking and beautiful diesel shot into the bottle! I jumped out, capped the vent and it starts like it's new!

Not sure what went wrong, but prolly something I did early on. But, anyhow, CROM LIVES! Just in time for four four inch leaf springs and matching shock to go on! (Pics to come)

Thank you all for your invaluable help! After a few more goes at this, maybe I'll have the know how to give back!

Cheers!:beer:

DXTAC

I did the spin on mod and it cranked for about 15 seconds then fired right up without priming and I haven't had a single issue (I did pre-fill the filter though). These trucks can be a PITA!!! What works for one person doesn't always work for the next.

Good luck!!

Shankem-Deep

I was able to get my factory box style primed by using my MightyVac (vacuum pump) hooked up to the out side of the filter base (goes to the IP). Once I got diesel to the vacuum pump I quickly hooked the line back up and did the normal bleeding procedure. Bleed the air out of the filter housing vent, hooked the pink wire back up and it coughed and sputtered then started!!! Back in business!! Thank you guys!