• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Change Procedure... Please double check me?!

Lccountryboy89

Ok guys... new 5 ton owner here about to change the fuel filters on the truck I just picked up. I've downloaded and read the TM's for the procedure but have also read the nightmare posts on here about not being able to get the trucks primed after changing the filters... so just double check me on this procedure please? Previous owner replaced the large canister filter with a spin on Racor r25s Filter. So just change the filters (x1 on frame and x1 on engine itself), fill them with fresh diesel and replace them. Crack bleeder screw on injection pump. Then prime using the primer bulb until fuel starts to come out of the bleeder screw. Tighten down the bleeder screw, then hopefully fire up the truck
Please feel free to add anything or any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance and sorry to beat a dead horse but just want to do it right!!

-Roger

dawico

I had to bleed mine multiple times before it would start and run right. Ten times or more before I got all the air out anyways.

And take it easy on the starter. Let it rest between attempts.

Good luck.

yamabro

You can also pressure assist it.
Crack the bleeder, remove the fuel filler cap on the tank, put a blow gun in the filler and hold your hand and a rag over it tight and give it the air.
It will push the fuel and air up and out.

tbar123

If it's an A1 you may want to replace the o-rings on the pump primer before you do the filter change. It's only 2 o-rings that should only cost a buck and will help you out tremendously in the priming portion of the filter change. Good luck, and congrats on the 5 ton!

74M35A2

It takes a while to fill the big cannister in the wheel well up with the hand primer. On the A2 trucks maybe 50-70 pumps.
His frame mounted canister filter was replaced with a spinner.

Your procedure looks ok. IP bleed bolt is 10mm head and located on the front-inboard side of the pump. Once expelling here, close the bolt, and with additional pumps, you should be able to hear the IP overflow relieving pressure with each prime pump. This noise can be heard at the IP return line fitting, as there is a spring loaded pressure relief valve in there. If you are able to get a good enough prime to have this, the truck will start like nothing was ever removed or opened up.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It also depends on which truck you are working on. Helps if you provide us that info.

Alexsha

How do you replace the o rings in the primer pump? Is it obvious? Mine just started dropping when i use it although mines an A2 if that matters.
A2 has a different primer pump I believe. I just recently replaced the primer in my A2. $60 at just about any Cummins parts store. I don't believe they're repairable. I still have my old pump so I'll take a look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks