• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Help

HASSON1911

Today I had to change my primary fuel filter because my seal blew and after looking at it, there was no way i was going to reuse it. but the primary filter that was in my truck was mesh, and the one, the previous owner gave me was like a stone filter. And both looked to small for the original military canister(shorter by about 2-3 in.). So my question for the primary filter is: is the correct number for NAPA 3511, and should it be mesh or stone kind. and will it be shorter than the canister.

HASSON1911

Also, a noob question here on the driver side there is the primary and final filter canister, were are these secondary i keep reading about?

wsucougarx

The primary filter is the shorter version (3511). Different companies use different materials for the filters...doesn't really matter. The secondary and final fuel filter (on the driver side) is NAPA 3512. They are much longer than the 3511.
The reason the primary filter is so much shorter is so water can accumulate at the bottom of the canister. If you have a longer filter in the primary filter, then the filter will act as a wick to draw up the water into your fuel system.

HASSON1911

Thanks mike, I think I have a "special truck", because the only filters i see one there is a primary and final(both next to each other on driver side.), no secondary.

Dr.Jay

The fuel / water separator canister is located at the front right side of the engine compartment attached to the frame below the alternator. The secondary, and final filters are in the canisters mounted directly to the engine, on the left side behind the Injection pump.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look under your alternator.

The short white stone filters are washable/reusable.(for the primary filter only)

The filter position should be obvious if you looked at the -20P TM.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HS, [thumbzup]

Oh, and it's covered(with pictures) in the -20 TM, under fuel system maintenance(which you should be using to do this task).

Last edited:

HASSON1911

Okay thanks guys from DH pictures its my secondary that I'm changing out so if the truck and obvious the pic is correct the filter I'm changing is actually the secondary filter but for some reason the canister "holder" its stamped primary? Any guesses on that reason? It would have been nice if my truck let me learn this on my own instead of rushing me to learn. Thanks guys for your patience
Also, thanks Steven nice vid and truck!

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you tighten it up, do not rotate the can. Tighten the bolt. 15 ft/lb.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a drain on the primary which should be drained on a regular basis to remove water.
that's covered in the TM also.

HASSON1911

Thanks will do. Another note is it alright for the canister to be off for 3 days while the filter and gasket come, or should i just put an empty canister on.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off is fine.

DieselBob

Leaving the can off won't hurt anything. Just my 2cents but I have been using the 3113 filter for the primary. With the ears in the center of the cartridge it self centers on the seal surface in the filter mount. I also changed to using the 3540 for the final filter because it is a 6 micron rating instead of the 10 micron of the 3512.

Last edited:

HASSON1911

Okay, thanks guys can't wait for the parts to come in so i can get her running again. When i finished cleaning off the secondary I notice rust in the bottom of the canister, probably the reason why i couldn't open it to drain it. Is there a commercial canister or should i reuse it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks